Chapter 27 - Carter Starts School

Chapter 27

Ashley-

"Carter," I shake our son gently to wake him. "Time for your first day of school."

"Huh?" He rolls over, rubbing his eyes, just like Ross does. "With Ariel?"

"You got it," I smile. "Let's eat, then you can get dressed and your bag packed."

"Okay okay okay!" He jumps out of bed, a huge smile across his face, already running down the stairs.

I laugh a little as I walk to the top of the staircase, but bumping into someone.

"Morning," Ross chuckles from above me. "Morning." I smile as he kisses my forehead, both of us walking down, and we see that Carter is already seating in dining room chair, and I pour him his cereal.

"So you excited, bud?" I hear Ross ask Carter from the kitchen. "Yeah," I could hear the excitement in his voice. "The first is the best, you know. You get to meet everyone; you might even meet some girls."

I chuckle lightly to myself, getting the rest of Carter's breakfast ready.

Carter giggles. "Ew Daddy! That's icky! But can I ask you something?" I could tell the Ross nodded. "What do you love most about Mommy?"

I blush slightly at this, and I'm going to guess that Ross did too.

"Um, well," Ross pauses. "Everything, really, C. I could name off every thing, but that would take a long time."

I take this chance to walk in, setting down Carter's breakfast in front of him, and I sit down across from the two, watching.

"Gotta get dressed," Carter mumbles, running out of his chair, but I stop him. "Not so fast. You didn't eat your banana." He groans. "If you don't, you won't be able to write songs with Daddy."

I unpeel the banana for Carter, and he eats it as fast as he can. I laugh, making him smile slightly, and once he's eaten a decent amount, he runs off.

"Babe," Ross breaks the comfortable silence. I turn to him. "Hmm?"

"C'mere," he tells me now, and I walk over to his side of the table, sitting on his lap, leaning against him. "What'd you need?" I whisper as we sit in another comfortable silence.

"Oh," I sigh. "What?" Ross kisses my temple, and I wish I could stay here forever. "Annabelle."

"I'll get her," he says softly, letting me stand, then doing the same himself. "Don't worry, you just get C ready." I smile up at him. "Thank you." He smiles. "Don't mention it. CARTER! YOU GOTTA GET DOWN HERE FOR SCHOOL!"

I laugh at how Ross hollers up to Carter, and put away his breakfast dishes, getting his bag ready, waiting in the front entrance for him.

"I'm ready, I'm ready!" Carter runs down the stairs, and I smile.

Ross-

I walk from the dining room as I call Carter, walking up to Annabelle's room, opening the door softly, seeing her asleep, and I smile slightly to myself.

I walk over, picking up our five month-old daughter into my arms, and I watch her eyes open slightly, peering into mine. I smile, sweeping a little bit of her blonde hair off her forehead, walking down the stairs to where Ashley and Carter stood in the front entrance.

"Bye Daddy," I crouch down to Carter's height. "Bye Belle." Carter gently kisses Annabelle's soft forehead and I stand again, facing Ashley.

"Bye babe," I say, pecking her lips. "See you soon, drive safe, love you." I add all in one breath, making her chuckle. "Bye Ross, love you too."

She looks down at Annabelle and smiles slightly, then kisses her forehead, smiles at me, making me grin, taking Carter's hand, then walking out the door, heading to school.