Chapter 9

Chase's family is really fun to be with. They talk to her as if this was not their first meeting!  Anyway, we had lunch together with his family. I'm really envious of Chase because he is really close with his siblings while me on the other hand grew up playing with imaginary siblings. I also met his brother's family. Mike, has an adorable daughter named Katie. Katie is 7 years old and I noticed that she is very timid unlike her Dad. Chase's parents are really outgoing, Lily is very talkative like me. Now I know why Chase is not annoyed when I talk too much, I guess he is used to it by now. 

After Lunch they decided to play badminton outside, they were inviting me but I refused. I don't want to get embarrassed in front of everybody. I'm really not into sports, I even skip my P.E. classes when I was still studying. I'm a wimp to be exact. So I decided to just watch them play. They decided  that it should be boys versus girls. That's a little unfair if you ask me, I mean Chase and his brother is extremely tall and I think that is an advantage. I had fun watching them play because every time Chase's team wins, his mom and sister would always ask for a rematch. I got thirsty that's why I went inside to get a drink. I was on my way to the kitchen when I was drawn to the sound of a piano. The person playing the piano seems to be having a hard time with a piece because the piece keeps repeating. I decided to go to the living room to see who is trying to play the piano. I was really surprised to see Carol, Chase's youngest sister. I just watch her play, I don't want to disturb her because she seems to be having a hard time playing a note from the piece.

"Dammit!, Why can't I play this stupid piece!"

"Hey." I decided to show my presence. I want to help her because I know that kind of frustration when you can't play a simple piece. My mom enrolled me in a piano class when I was 5 that's why I really know that kind of frustration.

Carol looked surprised when she saw me, but surprise suddenly turn to panic. She started picking up the piece that she was trying to play. She clumsily put everything in a case beside her. In her panic, one piece flew to me. 

"So you're trying to play moonlight sonata. Good choice." I walked to her and handed her the piece. She reluctantly get it from me. I don't know why but she seems really embarrassed that I saw her playing.

"I don't actually call it playing because I can't produce a decent note." She said or rather whispered it. I decided to sit beside her, maybe she needs a little encouragement.

"You know what, every note is a decent one. There is no such thing as ugly playing. Even famous pianists had a hard time when they were still learning how to play. Carol, it's good to make mistakes and it's normal to fail sometimes. What's bad is when you started giving up."

She looked at me and I offered her a smile. I seem to get her full attention now. I faced the piano and started opening the lid. 

"You know what, when I was your age I can't even play twinkle twinkle."

"You play piano?" Carol asked wide-eyed.

"Yep, since I was 5. But let me tell you something. I was not very good at first! I had a lot of teachers before who gave up teaching me. They always told my mom that it's impossible."

"You're kidding." 

"No I'm not. They thought I was hopeless but I proved them wrong."

"Mom...doesn't know I play the piano." 

"Why? She doesn't  approve of it?"

"No! I didn't mean it that way. It's just...I'm shy to tell them about it?"

"Why are you shy?"

"Because I really don't know how to play. I saw one of my schoolmate playing it and I thought I should try it because we have a piano. I thought it was easy."