Chapter 40

Kitaya read over the message one last time before rolling it up and tying it with a black ribbon. A letter for Eriani. The Queen needed to know Kitaya may not make it to the summit. Finding Aldeheid took priority over entertaining a horde of stuffy diplomats.

She gazed over the town one last time. Despite not being as extravagant as Kon, this place had a charm of its own. The rules of the backlands weren't complicated—do what you need to do without causing trouble for anyone else. The lawlessness of these lands appealed to the rebel in her. But her bloodline kept it far out of her reach.

She rose from her bed and shouldered her bag, giving her room an inspection to ensure she left it tidier than she met it. The only eyesore was her used bath, but the attendants would take it away as soon as she left.

The town hall stood quiet at this hour, with only the gentle thumps of her boots against the wood filling the silence as she headed downstairs. The scents of tea and cooked fruit lured her to the dining chamber, but she found it empty.

Silver and porcelain accoutrements sat on the low table, awaiting those who would use them, and the bustling of productivity leaked in from the kitchen. Perhaps she'd underestimated how early it was.

Kitaya left the dining chamber and wondered into a hall she'd never ventured before, stopping in front of a set of high double doors. One side was slightly ajar and the sound of conversation wafted into the hall.

"I'll be right out, Kitaya," Ade called.

She frowned. How? More forbidden magic? Dear gods she hoped not. Too much of that drove men to insanity, and the thought of that happening to Ade turned her gut on its side.

Ade emerged from the room and eased the door shut behind him. His eyes landed on the bag on her shoulder and a trail of fog escaped his lips, curling up to the ceiling. "You're leaving."

Kitaya avoided his gaze and raked a hand through her braids. "Indeed, I... I was wondering if you knew anywhere else the Vidaldi may be? Other towns nearby, perhaps?"

"I do." He leaned back against the door and crossed one ankle over the next. "There's a town south of here that reported a sighting a few weeks ago.The guild has a safe house on the outskirts you can use."

She thought of all the dubious looks she'd earned from the guildmaster and cringed. "I don't think that would be wise."

"Forget what Oshun thinks about Konian royals. It's the least we can do after you and your friends helped us weed out those Vidaldi scum."

"Speaking of friends, can you direct me to Jayer and Jetei's room? I need to drop off this message before I leave."

"Ah, they're not here. They left early to search the facility again." He folded his arms across his chest. They should be there by now."

Kitaya swore softly. "I see. Well, what about Fukami?"

"He's outside."

"How do you keep track of everyone? Is it..." She didn't let the words escape her lips.

Ade shook his head. "I have my methods and I'd rather not disclose them. But I make it my business to know who is here, why they are and what they are doing at all time."

"I see." As much as this new Ade disturbed her, she couldn't find the gumption to confront him on it. She didn't know what events had led him to this life, and therefore had no right to judge him.

He stood proper and stretched his arms over his head. "There's something I'd like to show you before you leave. If you'd indulge me. It will only take a minute."