Chapter 22: A man & his daughter

His house was simple on the outside, but elegantly painted in light blues of various hues inside with simple calm stone flooring. There was a table that looked to have come from a piece of wood outside and the couch looked older and like it came from america at first glance. With the second glance the traditional silk of Goryeo could be seen indicating it was homemade. By the enlarged smile at me noticing it became obvious he had done this himself all himself.

"Eh you like this old man's taste?"

I rolled my eyes.

"You do!" He exclaimed.

Then he slapped my back with the force of a drunk even if he was fully sober. With the confidence exuding from him I couldn't help but give one small smirk.

Until I watched that smile of his drop as quick as glass to the floor. Looking behind me toward the eating area. I turned around.

There stood a younger woman and man. The man's back against the counter and the woman applying medicine to him. Her round face tilted in worry as she did so. The man was looking up at the ceiling until he noticed Jame's bodyguard. He immediately turned to him as did the woman. 

The man quietly said, "Ju-won." As he spoke blood spittled out of his mouth. With him facing us the source of the blood, a huge bruise from his eye to the bottom of his cheek, shimmered in the light from the window a dark black and purple color. 

The body guard, Ju-won, answered, "My lovely daughter's fiance once again comes home with injuries."

"I'm just following in your footsteps father-in-law." The fiance says. 

Ju-won shoots back, scolding, "My footsteps were with one I could trust."

The fiance looks nervous in that moment. 

Barely he stuttered out, "I know. I wish it as well. But the 359..." 

Ju-won's eyes hardened. 

"Appa!" His daughter suddenly glared. A direct response to Ju-won's stiffening gaze. Immediately his eyes softened.

He spoke gentle, "I know. It's okay son-in-law." 

If only his daughter could tell that Ju-won's gaze was that of a man who fears for another, not of anger. Even I could tell that. Though I've spent many a time with hardened people like him. I guess he must have sheltered her to a degree. Probably didn't expect to see her fall in love with someone like him. This must be why he stays in enemy territory. 

The daughter held onto her fiance quite tightly now, but more relaxed after hearing her father's words. 

He probably never expected her to find someone she'd love so much. As I thought this, surprisingly, the image of James popped up in my head. Immediately I shook it away. 

Quick another more relevant thought entered in it's place.

I didn't bother with pleasantries, asking the body guard, "Ju-won, would your future son-in-law know details of the 359 since he's a member?"

Ju-won laughed, "Ha, why else would I bring you here!"

"Wha-" Protested his daughter, but before she could say anything further the man chirped up.

"I'm happy to help! Anything at all miss." His words were higher pitched and more excited than I expected. Especially with the pleading look he gave to his fiancee. Though she nodded within barely a second of seeing his face. 

She spoke, "Fine."

I nod in return, "Cool."

With everything settled and the task at hand, immediately Ju-won gets to the information needed. 

He asks, "What are some good general bases one could more easily sneak into to information on the 359 triad."

"Like what type of information?"

"Any." I interject. 

"Well, there is the torture base.... or at least that's what we call it. Easy to get into because no one wants to be there... Only the higher ups who do the tortu-"

"That's enough information." Ju-won states. Stopping him. I hadn't until that moment realized I'd been holding my breath. Though Ju-won was staring right at me. I hope he didn't know what I was thinking. 

There's no way Jae-Hwa would...

I shake that thought away too. 

I glare at the ceiling. Toughening up. 

"Let's go." I practically order. 

Ju-won sighs, but follows me. Resting his hand on my shoulder as he does so. 

The lovebirds just stare, a bit confused. 

I ignore them and walk out as quickly as I can. 

The fiance practically yells, "The empty building at the end of the red light district!"

My face turns red, embarrassed I'd walked out so fast I forgot to ask.

"It's okay." I think Ju-won whispers. Yet when I look at him, his lips are still and his face is like stone. Like mine. We head to the base. Quick as I can.