Chapter 28: Zirconia

Had he'd not taken me, I would have found my way to him. To confront him, stop him. Tell him the things I wanted to say to my parents and more. Though this time I was more taken back by surprise than a simple knowing that creeped inside with every action I had done. This time, I was blameless. Or was I? The hard glare and angered smile Jae-Hwa threw my way told me I wasn't. 

To him, this was all me. Secretly, I felt it too. Worse than when I'd helped my parents. Than when I'd given up on a good life and just tried to continue on surviving. Like how I felt when I confronted James. All this guilt piling up. It's why I hadn't decked Jae-Hwa the minute he cut my skin with the blade. 

We reached his place in no time. I stepped out, him still gripping me tight but not so much we couldn't easily move. Going through the side door to his pool. It was darker here too. The city lights barely seeping through to the quiet houses surrounding us. His house would have been quiet too and stayed such as he beckoned me to the concrete with a simple push. 

I landed unexpectedly rough. Scratching my palms, but still overwhelmed. I allowed the words in the letter to overcome my pain and pulled myself up as I gazed at Jae-Hwa looking for some sort of light in his gaze. 

Right now it was pure abyss, but at least the blade was once again no where in sight. 

I whisper, "Let's talk." Crossing my arms. 

His hand slides up his face and against his hair, his eyes closing shut tight for just a moment before he opens them again and shoots me another glare. I wasn't used to his glaring, but I was used to it from others so I let my heart stone off as he continued to look at me in that way. 

The smile finally dropped and the real anger showed. 

Jae-Hwa spat, his voice loud, "I only kept it from you so you could be with me. For fucks sake  you know it!"

I shook my head. 

"Jae-Hwa, this is so much worse than that. " He steps toward me with a soft frown and widened eyes. Threatening. 

I continue, "Your Triad, they torture people, was that needed? You're in charge, could you not stop that instead of making the problem grow?" My steps echo slight as I move back, admitting my concern. Jae-Hwa notices and instantly is in front of me holding my shoulders, keeping me from moving more. 

"You must understand." He pleads. The glare gone and a soft gaze aimed my way. I move my hands to his chest and gently push but he doesn't budge. My eyes glaze over once more because of him. 

I plead back, "But you traffic people..." 

Suddenly he slaps me hard. Holding me still with one arm, the only thing that keeps me from stumbling back. I turn my free arm to punch him but he catches my wrist as he pulls back from the slap. Grabbing it tight. Not so tight it hurts, but enough that I can't budge out of it. 

All the good memories we had flood through me right then. I look back at him, the stinging on my cheek so fresh. This can't be it. 

"Only because I have to An, no one else does."

I shake my head again. No. This can't be it. 

I rebut, "For good reason Jae-Hwa." 

He grips my wrist tighter. 

I offer, trying to reason, "James doesn't... maybe he can hel-" Suddenly I'm pushed back to the ground. I feel another slap slam across my face. Then another. 

Jae-Hwa yells, "James is just as horrible as me! As much a  monster so what does it matter An? You should know that too!" I manage to block him from slapping me again only to feel him roughly pull my hair away from my ear. 

He get close and commands, "You should know."

The stone isn't working. All the memories shatter as I feel his hot breath against my ear. The rage. Is this it?

"We all deserve a second chance." I whisper. Trying so hard to bring the memories back. Of us spending time together. Of his cool calm smile, gentle playful voice. The Jae-Hwa I thought I knew. 

It comes crashing down with one final slap aimed my way. Hitting me like a ton of bricks. Definitely breaking my jaw.

I stare at him. He's breathing heavy above me. His other hand shoved into my shoulder. I bring my free hand up to his cheeks. They're warm as I look at a man who has not once dropped a single tear this whole time. 

"Do you love James that much?" He asks as my hand caresses his face. His hand still raised ready to slap me again. 

Is that all he cared about? My hand dropped and I turned my face away to watch his movements instead. 

"I guess I do." I admitted. More tears streaming down my face, making the bruise and open cuts from the damage sting that much more. 

Jae-Hwa lost it. 

"Take it back, you're mine!" His hand turns to a fist and he goes to punch me but I use my arm to deflect it as I grab his pressure point and pull him down until we spin around and I'm on top of him. Trying to hold him down. I let the tears fall on him as my eyes no longer look for his. Staying focused on just what he's doing. 

In barely a second he escapes my hold and pushes me forward and back to the ground, but this time I slide back as I hit the cold. Stepping up as I do and backing away. Facing him, ready to fight. 

I give him one last moment.

"You can't change, can you?" I ask.

He just smiles once more, and pulls out his knife. Aiming it my way. I prepare to run and find a weapon of my own but then I hear that patter of large steps coming my way. Jae-Hwa hears it to and with the knife still aimed toward me he turns to the source. My eyes glance there as well, but stay focused on the blade. 

In the side of my vision I see deep grey eyes staring right at me. 

James.