Chapter 29: Epiphany

I spin and prepare to run in the opposite direction to protect James but in the moment of acknowledging he was there, Jae-Hwa had managed to run up behind me. So instead of turning to run I crashed straight into Jae-Hwa. Jae-Hwa grabs my neck from behind squeezing it before spinning me around to face James. He pressed the blade under my chin and starts cutting. I hold my breath but keep my grip around his arm tight. Trying to find a weak spot I can pull or slip out from. 

He shifts the blade up to the edge of my face and presses harder. This time I can't hold in the noise. Through gritted teeth a small scream comes out. 

James doesn't move an inch. He just looks at me and I him. I grip my teeth again tighter. Promising not to let James see me hurt over this anymore. 

I won't let him suffer. 

Jae-Hwa laughs, his chest rumbling against my back. He suddenly removes the knife from my face and wraps his other arm around me in a choke hold. I start to try and struggle free, kicking him in the knee and then going for his parts, but suddenly he slides his kicked leg around and pulls my stable leg from under me. Making it where if he were to let go I would instantly fall, completely unable to hold myself up in the position he's put me. 

I relax my body. Ready for whatever was about to come. Giving a small smile Jae-Hwa can't see toward James. Trying to tell him to relax too. But I didn't need to say a thing. No emotion showed on his face as he forced his eyes on Jae-Hwa. With the same stare as when I first met him, deadly. I shook my head no. He tilted his gaze my way and in a flash Jae-Hwa re-pressed the blade against my face. Twisting it. 

Jae-Hwa threatened, "If her face is cut up, won't you give up on her James? Our precious An will be damaged goods, " he pressed the knife again harder to cut deep before continuing, "wasn't she always though?" 

I held my breath and thought of just the stiffness of my teeth as I felt the metal slice through my cheek. James stepped forward, his gaze still hardened. Hiding anything going on his mind. Like a true professional. Though I knew concealing my pain wasn't enough to keep him from hurting too. His defensive stance toward Jae-Hwa enough to give away what he really felt. 

Giving away more, James spoke, "What hurts you doesn't make you Jae-Hwa."

Jae-Hwa loosened the knife, but still kept it against me. I could feel his breath hitch for just a second before turning back to its normal deep state. I relaxed my body more, preparing to slip out.

James spoke again, "Please see that." Then he stepped toward Jae-Hwa and I once more. Just a small step. 

Immediately I felt Jae-Hwa's grip on me loosen and I almost fell to the ground until Jae-Hwa caught me and pulled me back toward him. Shoving the blade against my neck but keeping me where I could only see James in my peripheral vision. 

"Hah!" Jae-Hwa laughs before pushing the blade against my jugular vein. 

James stepped back but now threatened, "Let her go." In a deep dark voice. I relax my body once more. Sliding my hand slowly up Jae-Hwa's chest and toward his neck, but not doing anything threatening to him. 

Jae-Hwa chuckles and glances down at me for a moment. 

"Giving up?" He whispers. Tears staining my face, dry except for all the blood, I nod. 

It's then I see the shimmer near James hand. Familiar with the shape of the object, I know Jae-Hwa will recognize it too. I can't get my happy ending, but at least I can't let this become a tragedy. 

Jae-Hwa is about to turn toward James but I use the hand near his neck to grab the back of his head and pull him down to my lips. He immediately pulls the blade away from me as I give him a soft kiss with both my hands holding him to me. 

Bang!

The guns goes off. 

Jae-Hwa shoves me back with his hand now damaged from the blade being shot away from it. James is running to Jae-Hwa and I try to move to the side, but it's too late, Jae-Hwa shoves me one more time and I fall back full strength against the concrete. 

Stinging and warm blood still pouring from my face is all I feel as the dark night covers my vision. Hearing a  loud crack echoing from behind me.

Then, out. Pleading that if I awake it'll be to the best of a bad situation, or a from a death that was nothing beyond painful.