Chapter 16: The End

The Medallion Demon held up his dark spikes high into the air, ready to pierce into Rapunzel and her gang's hearts.

"Time to finish y-" The demon said before being interrupted by the sound of a chain snapping.

They all looked to see where the sound came from, and gawked once they saw what it was.

"Varian?!" Rapunzel said, absolutely bewildered to see Varian standing behind the demon, medallion in his hand. The noose left behind...

Varian had just ripped off the medallion from the demon's neck!

The Medallion Demon turned around and growled, "Give that back, boy."

Varian was absolutely terrified, "I can't believe I just did that! I'm really in for it now..." He thought, backing away from the beast.

"Hand it back, now." The demon said, holding out his hand to receive his possession.

"N-no..." Varian replied, absolutely baffled by his own words.

If the demon could, he would kill Varian. But he couldn't, Varian had to do that himself if he wanted his plan to work.

"Give it back, you insignificant waste of life."

Varian started to tear up, "This was a terrible idea, I shouldn't have tried this. I can't do it. I can't do anything."

Varian started to reach out his arm, almost giving it to the demon.

The Medallion Demon smiled a sickening grin, Rapunzel was shocked. "No, don't do it, please..." She thought, unable to find the strength to speak.

Varian was inches away from handing the demon his precious medallion, but suddenly, stopped.

He took a deep breath in and let it out.

"But even if I am useless, I don't have to play his game." He thought.

He pulled his hand back.

"No." He sternly said, his brows furrowing.

"Excuse me?!" The demon said, completely bewildered by Varian's sudden change of behavior.

"I said no." He replied, backing up once more. But instead of doing it out of fear, Varian had the face of pure rage.

"You fool, do you have any what you are doing?!" The demon shouted, stomping towards Varian.

"I am not your puppet anymore." Varian said, clenching his teeth.

"You worthless, little-"

"That may be true, but so what? I'm not playing your game anymore. I don't need to." Varian sternly said.

"Why are you trying to protect the people you hate the most?" The demon coldly said, trying to get under Varian's skin.

"I-" Varian suddenly stopped, He bumped into something, he turned around, shaking.

It was the noose.

Varian was about to tear up again, feeling doubts once more press into his head.

He took another deep breath in and out once more.

He continued to step back until his foot reached the end of the cliff.

"The only person I hate is you." Varian coldly stated, holding the medallion up high, ready to toss it off the cliff.

"You wouldn't."