Chapter 8

I haven't said anything to Valkyrie but fury called last night. He wants me to do a mission here in Paris. I didn't want to tell val. It's too dangerous for her. I know I just had to disappear. It was only for a few days. Tonight was my last night that I'd be with her. I was going to write her a note and leave when she's sleeping. The mission was to rescue hostages from these mutants that have come from a planet called sadar. They were really powerful. Their ability is to move objects with their mind. Some of them shoot blasts from their chest.

Me and Val had just made it back to the hotel from the interrupted picnic we had.

"Carol I've got some plans in mind for this week!" She stated,grinning.

I paused. "Oh really? Like what?"

"Let's keep it as a surprise. But everything's on me ok?"

I felt so bad. The one time she actually wanted to take me out and surprise me with things is the time I have to go and secretly leave her. I cant imagine what she's going to feel like tomorrow morning when she wakes up with me not beside her. I feel like a piece of shit.

"Well I'm looking forward to it." I lied,returning her statement with a broken smile.

~

"I'm getting tired carol. I think I should get some rest. We have a big week coming up."

I took in her words and just sat there staring at her. I didn't respond. She looked at me as if she was the happiest woman on the planet. I got up and embraced her into a tight hug. She paused taking a few seconds to hug me back.

"What's this all about?" She laughed.

I squeezed my eyes shut and stuffed my face in her neck. I sighed as She started rubbing my back. I pulled back from the embrace and stroke her cheek. I lightly kiss her cheek and head back to the bed. She followed and laid beside me with her arms around my waist. Minutes past and she was sound asleep. My thoughts flooded my head until 3 in the morning. I couldn't get any rest.

My watch buzzed. It was furys cue for me to leave. I look at Val who is sound asleep. For the intimidating woman that she was,she looked so soft and gentle sleeping.

I quietly sneak out of her embrace and head to the bathroom. I grab my suit from the drawer and suit up. I walk out the bathroom and grab my boots near the bed. The clock read 3:30. I tried being as quiet as possible. I remember Natasha would always make fun of me for having heavy loud steps.

In the corner of my eye,I notice a peace of paper. I grab a pen and write a note for Val.

Before you worry,I will be back soon. Please don't try to reach out of your way to come find me. I am taking care of something that will only last a few days. I will be safe. All I ask is for your patience. When I come back I will make it up to you. I'm sorry for this.
~ Carol

I set the note down on the nightstand beside her and head to the door. I take one last look back at her and leave.