-7-

- Libra -

When I wake up, it feels like my head is being squeezed and stepped on, and I can't get rid of the incessant beeping noise that keeps ringing in my ears.

"She's awake, oh thank God." A comforting voice drowns out the beeping. I can tell instantly that it's Leo.

I close my eyes again, inhaling sharply.

"Are you okay?" Leo says, his voice closer but quieter.

I can't really answer. I feel like my lips are glued together. I make a indistinct noise without parting my lips.

"I'm going to help you up and give you water. Can you open your eyes?" He asks.

I open my eyes despite the fact that every time I do, the pounding intensifies.

He helps me up and I take the water from his hand, taking the smallest sips.

A woman wearing light blue scrubs and a smile comes in. She looks like she's twenty, too young to be a doctor.

"Good morning. I'm your nurse, Bailey. How are you feeling honey?"

"Not bad," I manage to get out.

"That's good. So, I was informed that you hit your head during your seizure. Due to the impact, you got a concussion. It isn't too bad, so we have you on pain medication and you should be okay in a couple days. We took some scans to see what caused the seizure, and we should be getting the results in an hour at the least. Do you have any background of seizures?"

"No, never once."

"Have you ever passed out?"

"After drinking too much, yes."

"But never medically caused?"

"No."

"Alright. Just relax while everything gets processed."

She leaves and I look over at Leo. "I'm fine." I tell him.

"You're not,"

"Can we just go home?" I ask.

"No,"

"Please? I don't like it here. The beeping is giving me a headache," 

"Drink your water,"

I roll my eyes - which adds to the pain - and finish the last few drops in the cup. 

After the longest time of the most uncomfortable silence, a different doctor walks in with nurse Bailey behind him. 

"I'm the neurosurgeon, Dr. Moore. How are you feeling now, Libra?" 

"I feel a little better. I just have a headache," 

"That's good," he nods. "So, we got your results back. I'm afraid you have a brain tumor. It's called a glioblastoma." he says, his face holding pity. 

"Oh," I say. "Is it deadly?" When I say that, Leo's grip tightens on my hand. 

The doctor goes quiet. A few seconds later, he clears his throat and says, "Yes, I'm afraid so. It's not curable, but with radiation and treatment, you have 15 or 16 months." 

"So I'm gonna die?" my voice cracks. 

"There have been some cases with survivors."

"How many?" 

"Not too many," he frowns. 

I look over at Leo. He's not looking at me. 

"What about without treatment?" 

"Without treatment you're looking at less than a year. I highly recommend treatment." 

I nod. "Okay. Thank you," 

Yeah, thank you to the person who just told me that I'm dying.