Chapter 9

Lilith's POV

I ran slightly behind Bard following him towards his house . Once we was inside I noticed everyone had evacuated I hope they was safe .

Bard then picked up his bow and arrows and I picked up some large looking arrow head . Barf then said

"lilith don't leave my side"

"I won't"

"promise me"

"I promise Bard"

I followed him out of his house still confused why he was so bothered about my safety . We made are way to the watchtower in the center of the floating town .

"Lilith go first I will be right behind you"

I nodded and began to climb up the ladders to the top of the watchtower . Bard began to shoot arrows at Smaug each one bouncing of Smaug's armour like skin .

I then noticed a smaller patch in Smaug's body that didn't look guarded my guess is somehow the scale came off

"Bard, look there"

Bard looked at where I was pointing and tried shooting at the unguarded part of Smaug's stomach but Smaug flew past the watchtower and knocked me off the edge of the watchtower thankfully I caught hold of the edge .

Bard then grabbed my arm and pulled me up , to which I nodded thankfully . I noticed the string on Bards bow had broken . Smaug then spoke to us

"who are you , you can't kill me my skin is like armour , I am going to destroy lake town I'm going to destroy you and that girl you seem to care so deeply about"

I looked at the arrow head I picked up and then looked at Smaug's weak patch

"Bard this arrowhead I picked up might work if you hit the right spot"

Bard nodded and then noticed his string had broken. He then seemed to have a idea and wedged the bow into the wood nearby .

"Lilith I'm going to have to rest the arrow on your shoulder"

I nodded and stood how Bard told me to . I wasn't going to lie I was nervous , especially with my back to Smaug and not been able to see what was going on.

"Lilith look at me"

I did as Bard said and looked at him

"you can't save her"
Smaug said

Bard then let the arrow fly and thankfully it hit Smaug in his weak spot .

"is he dead?"
I asked Bard

"yes"

I wrapped my arms around Bard . I felt him stiffen but then after a good few seconds I felt his arms wrap around me .