The Memory

I couldn't see anything. I was literally swimming in a pool of darkness. I called out but nobody answered. I sighed in frustration. Suddenly the shadowman appeared in front of me. He wrapped his cold, hard fingers around my chin. I tried looking at him but it was all just shadow. "Hello my darling." His raspy, scratchy voice sent shivers down my back and not the good kind.

"W-Who are you?" I stuttered out shakily. He chuckled. "Damian. The devil's personal servant." My eyes went wide with fear and I tried to get my chin out of his grasp. He tightened his fingers though, to were it was painful and I cried out. "I'm sorry to have to hurt you." He really did sound upset about it. "W-What do y-you want with me?! I go to church every sunday! IM A CHRISTIAN!" I screamed at him as tears ran down my cheeks. I heard him sigh. "You're  different." He whispered before I was whisked away in a cloud of white.

It was a memory. One of my least favorite ones at that. It was the first time I had gone to church. My mother was alive back then. I think I was about four but I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was dressed in a pretty white, flowing dress that reached my knees and I had my hair in two cute piggy tails. I was holding my mom and dad's hands as I skipped up the church steps to the doors.

My mother smiled at me, one of her breathtaking smiles and I smiled my toothless grin back. When we got inside the church, we sat at our respectful pew but people started whispering and pointing at me. I frowned in confusion but shrugged it off as the priest started to speak. In the middle of the topic he was talking about, an older plump lady spoke up from the back.

"I'm sorry father but I can't focus with the demon child in the front." I heard murmurs of agreement and wondered who the child was they were talking about. The priest looked confused. "I'm sorry ma'am but what child are you speaking of? I believe these are all God's children." I turned in my seat to see what the old lady had to say. She looked right at me when she spoke and my mother pushed me firmly against her chest.

"That child right there." She pointed to me."The one with the Devils eyes." My eyes. Oh no. My eyes were really weird. My left eye was purple while my right eye was an electric green. My father yelled profanities at the lady but the priest hushed him up. "I'm sorry Susan, but I think you should take little Darla here home. She obviously doesn't mean to be in the Lord's house."

Both of my parents were outraged by this. Suddenly the whole church was on their feet, yelling profanities at each other. I started to cry as everyone pointed at me and some people even reached to grab me but my mother pulled me away. "STOP IT RIGHT NOW!" I screamed loudly. All the windows broke and everyone went quiet. I breathed in deeply.

"I am staying here. Im only four and you guys are being big meanies to me. Im obviously God's child, whatever that means so stop fwighting please!" I had yelled in my baby voice. The priest finally spoke up. "The child is right. What we were doing isn't right. The lord is probably frowning upon us right now. I'm so terribly sorry, Darren and Susan."

The rest of church went by pretty fast. Nobody dared sat in our pew though. People said my family was cursed. To this day people glare at me in church and  hold their children tight when I walk past. Only me, Christene and Phoenix plus an elderly couple will sit in my pew with me.

Suddenly the memory disappeared and I was standing in the blackness again with the shadowman in front of me. "Can't you see? Ever since you were little you've been different, unique. You made those windows break. You belong with me. You're mine." I shook my head. "N-No." I stuttered. "Yes." He said firmly. I shook my head again, more aggressively. "No." "Yes." I started to shake as tears streamed down my face."No!" "Yes!"

"NO NO NO NO!"

"Darla!" My eyes shot open as my heart thumped wildly in my chest and sweat dripped from my forehead. "No." I mumbled. "No what sweetie?" I looked to my left to see Phoenix sitting there, holding my hand, with a concerned expression on his face. I faked a smile."Nothing, just a bad dream." Tell him! "Are you okay?" No I think a demon is in love with me. "Yeah I'm fine." Stop lying to him, liar! "Are you sure?" No I'm not sure. I love you, please help me. "Yeah I'm sure." Dammit stop lying! Tell him!

"I love you."

"I love you too." I closed my eyes again and started to drift off to sleep when I heard the voice in the back of my head, whisper one last thing before I fell asleep.

Stop lying.