1 - evil toaster

Paige pov

The weekend was finally here, and I couldn't be more grateful. Saturday morning. It felt like a gift from the gods! Except the spinning head, the bed hair and the smell of burnt toast. That meant my brother was cooking. He was only 8, but decided he was this great chef who needed to make breakfast every morning. You can't imagine how many close calls we've had when the microwave blew up, or the toaster caught on fire, or the oven smoked out the kitchen. But of course Sam thought he could continue to cook. Dad was always in his room anyway, so he wouldn't know any better.

I hopped out of bed, and then shivered as I realised it was freezing. October was no good. I wanted summer to come back. I pulled on my pink fuzzy slippers, and walked downstairs. Sam was in the kitchen, reading his Ben 10 magazine that I had bought him yesterday. He absolutely loved them, and wanted to be Ben 10 when he was older. I wasn't going to ruin his fun just yet.

"Sammy, aren't you forgetting something?" I asked, eyeing the smoking toaster.

"Oh, did you want the toy from this magazine?" He asked sweetly, offering the little toy alien to me.

"No thank you, sammy. What about breakfast?" I suggested, knowing he would catch on.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about it. Paigey will you help me? I don't want to hurt my hand." He said, looking at the toaster with terror, as if it was a monster that would rip his hands off with it's clawed teeth.

"Sure thing. But this toast is burned. Should we make some pancakes instead?" I said, carefully removing the charred slices of bread from the toaster and throwing them in the bin.

"Yeah! Pancakes!" He grinned, hopping up onto the marble counter to get some pancake mix from the cupboards.

"Can I take dad some?" He asked, closing the cupboard door, and sitting on the counter.

"Sure thing, buddy." I said, taking the mix from him and ruffling his hair. However I didn't think dad would be grateful. I don't even think he would talk.