21 - heart shaped box

Lily pov

I walked up the road towards her house. The heart shaped box of chocolates was tucked under my arm, the bouquet of roses in the other. I whistled a little tune, but then caught myself. This wasn't a movie.

As I got closer to her house, panic registered in my mind. There was an ambulance, lights flashing, outside somebody's house. I know it was selfish, but I was only thinking of her, or her family. I ran down, and gasped in horror as I saw it was right outside her house. Her aunt Helen was holding Sam, a man stood there in duck pyjamas. A girl was being loaded into the ambulance, and I was only hoping, hoping, hoping. But nobody heard my prayers.

I clambered into the ambulance, but a man placed his hand on my arm.

"You can't come in unless you're related." His eyes were dull, and he sounded serious.

"I'm her fucking girlfriend!" I shouted, and he removed his hand.

"Okay, I'm sorry." He said, and aunt Helen looked at me.

"Take care of her, dear. I'll be up as soon as I can." I promised I would stay with her, and I took a seat next to Paige, across from the guy. They closed the doors and the ambulance was away, but my stomach was left back at the house.

At the hospital, I sat on the seat next to her bed. It was long past midnight, and half the hospital was asleep. Aunt Helen had come and gone, but I refused to go. I had rung Becs and told her, and she understood.

I rested my head against paige's arm, listening to the steady thump of her heart. Monitors were beeping slowly, but my thoughts were beeping faster. I ran over every memory I'd ever had with this girl, every memory I still wanted to come. All I could think about was if she died. They told me she broke a few bones, such as her arm, a leg, something else. I didn't really pay attention in science, so it was all foreign to me.

Morning came, and I still had her hand in mine. I was awoken quickly when I felt a light pressure on my forehead. Waking up, I found paige facing me, her face bruised and swollen.

"Paige?" I asked, sure my mind was playing tricks.

"Hey, don't cry." She said, and only then did I realise I had tears rushing down my face.

"I'm sorry, I thought you were de-" She cut me off with a kiss.

"Hey, this ain't Romeo and Juliet. I'm not dying, and neither are you." She tried to lighten up the mood, and it worked slightly.

"What happened?" I asked, knowing that it might be easier for her to make sense of things.

"He was about to jump from the roof. He couldn't deal with my mum and everything. I climbed up and stopped him, but I slipped and fell. Then I don't remember anything." Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, as if she was trying to remember.

I reached over and grabbed the heart shaped box which had been sitting on the beside table.

"I got these for you. I was on my way down with them before you....you know." she looked at them and smiled, and then reached over. Our lips found each other's, and the monitors went haywire.

"Best not over do it." I said, leaning back. She shrugged.

"Do I look like it bothers me?" She said, leaning back towards me.