20 - romeo and juliet

Paige pov

Two months we've been together. It's been brilliant. Except for today. It's a saturday, so Lily should be here around 10am. Sam was messing around downstairs, as I could hear him making his car noises. Aunt Helen was busying herself around the kitchen, as I could hear pots and pans moving around. Dad was....well he wasn't making any progress.

And I was ill. Not your typical 'I've got a cold so I'm gonna pretend I'm dying'. But the 'I'm dying but no one will believe me'. I was in bed when I heard the usual doorbell ring twice, and Aunt Helen rush to get it. A few moments later, I felt the bed move down as Lily climbed in beside me. She moved the duvet over both of us, and wrapped her arms around me.

"I see you've warmed it up for me. How thoughtful." She joked, pressing her lips onto my cheek. I turned round to face her.

"I'm dying." I moaned, and her face fell.

"Well then I hope you'll at least wait a bit before you do, so I can prepare for some Romeo and Juliet stuff." She smiled, and so did I.

"They only knew each other for about a week." I said, playing with a loose strand of her dark hair.

"Well I'm glad I've known you for a lot longer." She pressed her lips onto mine, but I broke away.

"You'll get ill too." I said, and she shrugged.

"As long as you're the one poisoning me, then I'm all up for it." She leaned forward again, and I do admit I did too. I couldn't help it, I just wanted to kiss her.

Sadly she had to leave around 1, because she was going out with her family. But she promised she'd come straight round afterwards, and bring me chocolates. It wasn't the chocolates I wanted, but it was nice of her to offer. I settled back into my bed, ready for a serious nap, when aunt Helen came in.

"Have you seen your father?" There was a tiny bit of worry in her voice, but there always was when she spoke about my father. We both knew he stayed in his room because of my mum. After she died, he went in there and never came out. Of course he came out for showers and the toilet, but mostly we had to take food for him, and bring the half eaten food back down afterwards. His skin had gone a pale colour, because he hadn't gone outside in a long time. But we didn't know what to do.

"He's usually in his room." I didn't add the fact that he never left. However I could see aunt Helen worrying a little more, a sheen of sweat appearing on her forehead.

"He's not there, dear." She leaned against the doorframe, as if it was going to support her.

"Check the bathroom." I said, and I noticed I was starting to worry.

"He's not there either, dear." I could tell she was about to burst into tears, and I got this strange feeling in my stomach. Although I was sure I was dying, I flung myself out of bed, and pulled on some slippers. I knew we were maybe worrying for nothing, but there was that feeling.

I walked into the garden, almost hissing at the light from the sun. Suddenly I saw a shadow on the grass of the garden, and looked up at the house. My breath stopped in my throat, a little hick coming out. I couldn't breathe, couldn't move. It was as if everything had stopped. There he was, my father, standing on the roof in his yellow ducky pyjamas. His hair was a ruffled mess, and he was barefoot.

"Paige, go back inside." He said, almost a sigh. Aunt Helen rushed out, and gasped. Sam came to the door, out of sight from our father. Aunt Helen grabbed him and took him inside. I began climbing up the ladder that was always leaning against the garage door. With each ladder I climbed, he seemed to shuffle forwards.

"Dad, it's okay. You don't need to do this." I begged, scared out of my mind.

"I'm sick of this, paige. I want to be with her." He said, almost as if he was explaining it to a small child. His voice sounded as worn down as he looked. "I can't do this any longer." He looked down at the grass.

I did the first thing I thought of, I jumped towards him. I pushed him back on the roof, and it seemed as if it was going to be a near miss, until my foot slipped on the tile and I was flung forward. I watched as my father flew past as I fell. And then I felt a sharp pain, before feeling nothing.