// 32 \\

real life

As Kellan knocked on the door, his nerves were driving him absolutely crazy. His hands shook, the small bouquet of flowers in one of them shaking along with it. He knew this was what he needed to do, so why was he so nervous?

A voice in the back of his head responded, Because there's a chance he doesn't want you anymore.

Kellan tried to ignore said voice. When the lock clicked and the door's handle turned, he took a deep breath and held the flowers behind his back.

As the door opened, his face fell and his stomach dropped. Standing there was Timothée Chalamet. Either he got the wrong room number or he was too late already.

"Oh, um, I'm sorry. I don't mean to bother you, I just--"

"Kellan?"

That was definitely Tom.

He heard bare feet land on the floor and watched as Tom, wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants, walked toward the door. "Kellan, what are you doing here?"

Timothée slowly backed away from the door. "I'll be in my room."

The two other boys watched him exit through another door in the hotel room, which Kellan assumed meant they had adjoining rooms. That definitely didn't help the butterflies in his stomach.

"Uh, hi."

Tom looked pissed. But not in the normal "I hate you" way that Kellan expected. There was a hint of sadness in Tom's eyes, and it looked like he'd been crying. He crossed his arms. "What the hell do you want?"

Kellan cleared his throat and said sheepishly, "I just wanted to talk. Can we? Please?"

It took him second, but Tom thought it over and nodded. He walked back into the room and sat on the bed, expecting Kellan to follow him and close the door, which he did. He was careful not to reveal the flowers behind his back, which he was sure made him look really strange. Definitely like he was hiding something. He stepped in front of Tom and shifted his weight from one foot to another.

"If you're going to talk, you'd better do it now."

"Right. Yeah. So, I wanted to say I'm sorry. I was stupid to think that I could do this friends with benefits thing without catching feelings."

Tom's heart skipped a beat.

"I was an idiot, and I'm not good at relationships, so I try to stay away from them. I'm just, god, I'm so stupid. I should have realised what I felt for you sooner. Cause now you're with Timothée, and I'm too late, and--"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm with Timothée? What are you talking about?"

"I thought-- Sorry, I just assumed." His face flushed red. "Just cause you guys were in the same room. Anyway, it doesn't matter, cause you probably hate my guts now. And I came here with these goddamn flowers," he took them out from behind his back. "I just...I wanna be with you, however you want me. Whether you want a boyfriend, or even still just a fuck buddy. I'll just swallow my feelings, and it'll be fine. Tom, please."

"You bought me flowers?" Tom asked, his voice shaking a little bit. His tone was soft, and he was worried that if he said too much, he'd start crying.

"Yeah, I, uh, I don't really know what your favourite flower is, so I got you pink roses. I don't know, I thought they were pretty."

"What about your friend? The one you were," he paused to sniffle a bit, "the one you were going on a date with?"

"I cancelled it. I liked him, but I like you more. A lot more."

Tom looked down at his hands fidgeting in his lap. They must have stayed completely silent for a full two minutes before Kellan spoke up again.

"Tom? Can you say something please?"

The British boy watched his fingers shake for a second before taking a deep breath and standing up. He took a step toward Kellan and carefully took the flowers from him. He set them on the tv stand behind Kellan and took another step forward.

Kellan's heart was racing. Tom was either about to slap him or kiss him, and he was hoping it was the latter. Although, at least with the former, he'd know exactly how Tom felt. "Please say something," he breathed. "Please."

Tom was close enough to feel it, and he shivered slightly. "I don't hate you."

A soft smile spread across Kellan's face. "You don't?"

"No." Tom leaned forward, placed a hand on Kellan's cheek, and pulled him in for a kiss. Kellan wrapped his arms around Tom's waist and brought him closer. Tom melted into the kiss, letting Kellan take the lead almost immediately. He expected things to escalate as they always had before, but Kellan's hands stayed in one place, and the kisses stayed sweet and loving.

When they broke apart, Tom leaned into Kellan's chest and hugged him tight. "Thank you for the flowers. They're gorgeous."

"You're gorgeous," Kellan whispered in Tom's ear before kissing the top of it, making Tom blush hard.

"I really like you."

Kellan smiled. "I really like you, too."

Tom pulled away from the hug to reach for Kellan's hand. He dragged him to the bed and lightly shoved him down onto the mattress, immediately walking away to put the flowers in one of the glasses in the bathroom. He wound up having to lean them against the wall in the bathroom, as the glass was too short to work well as a vase on its own.

He walked back into the main room right as Kellan pressed play on the remote and the very first episode of Friends started playing on the television. Tom laughed to himself before climbing onto the bed and leaning into Kellan's side. As the first episode came to an end and the second started, Kellan wrapped his fingers around Tom's and pressed a single kiss to his palm.

"Do you want to do this? Us?" he asked after a moment.

Tom tilted his head up to look into Kellan's eyes. "Hell fucking yes."