Pbad (8)

Nadech

"Okay, is this all for today? No meetings?" I hand the signed documents to my secretary. "Yes, sir. This is all. It seems to be a free day today, sir." I nod my head and thanked her before she exits.

I lean on my chair, playing with the coin on my table. I smile to myself as I twist it around my fingers, remembering where I got it from.

"Something shiny!" I stop walking when Yaya walks past me, picking something up from the ground.

"What is it?" I walk over to her as she examines her discovery. She intently looks at it, keeping it on the palm of her hand.

"Treasure!" She holds it in front me, beaming as she shows it to me like it was her prized possession. It wasn't anything special, it was just a random coin that didn't even pose of any value. It looked like currency used a few hundred years ago, phased out money buried in the sand. 

"I mean, we can't get anything from that." I chuckle as I watch her clean it with the hem of her shirt, blowing her breath on it. 

"Here." She grabs my hand and gently places the coin on my palm, enclosing it with my fingers. "You keep it. You might need it someday." She pats my closed fist before she let's go, smiling at me with her cheeky smile. 

"What?" I looked at her, trying to comprehend what she meant. It obviously had no value these days, I can't possibly buy something with this. I open my palm, staring at the coin that pressed coldly against my skin. 

"Well, you don't really see something at face value and realize what it's worth. You have to discover it, discover it's worth for you. You might just discover it's value when you need it someday." She says, pushing my fingers to cover it again. She looks up at me and she smiles, triggering a small smile that crept up my face. 

"Okay." I shake my head, shaking off my foolish smile as I put the coin in my pocket, following her as she walks ahead of me. 

"You know, hidden treasures are amazing." She says, arms crossed against her chest as she stared up ahead. I watched her, trying to read her mind as I tried to catch up with her thoughts. "Yeah? Why is it?"

She inhales a cool breath and shrugs her shoulders. "I mean, it's a clear manifestation that no matter how hard and deep you hide things, they still manage to get discovered. At the end of the day, they still get dug out and exposed for the world to see. Like, it's saying that no one can ever really hide something for so long." 

I almost stop in my tracks as I listen to her say those words. It caused some sort of pull on the edge of my heart, constricting my chest. I don't know if it was guilt that I felt, or fear or worry or just a bit of everything. 

In unison, we stopped walking. She turns to look at me, giving me a piercing stare that made me feel like my whole entire soul was exposed. I felt like she was breaking in my thoughts, making me build the wall around my hidden safe thicker and taller. We stare at each other for I don't know how long, breaking in, pushing out, reading each other's thoughts. 

We both get pulled away from our trance when we hear the loud enthusiastic calls from Ram and Kit who were towering on top of the slide, waving at us. 

I bring the coin closer to my face, examining it. I smile to myself as I stare at it. Definitely, it's the most valuable coin in my possession right now. Every time I have it in my hand I see her cheeky smile on my mind, her beautiful eyes that only mirrored sincerity. 

I shake my head as I try to wash my giddy smile away, sitting up as I pull open the drawer of my desk. As I rest the coin inside, my eyes land on the familiar bottle of pills that remained full and shut.