Si (4)

Yaya

"The brain, the brain." I close my eyes and  take a deep breath. "The brain. . . . ugh! The brain of mine is crashing!" I slam the handouts against my thighs, furiously pulling on the strands of my hair.

"Hey, easy there." I turn to my side as Nadech sits beside me on the grass. He pulls his army green trousers up to his knee as he crosses his legs. "I brought you here for a change of atmosphere, so you could relax and study better." He says, extending his arm to massage my shoulder. 

"I just can't get it in my head." I was fuming and frustrated at my inability to absorb the lessons I've been trying to study. I knew medical school was going to be hard, but I didn't think it was this draining. 

"Thank you for taking me here, but I don't think anything is working right now." I turn to look at him with a defeated face, my shoulders drooping, my eyebrows only a few millimeters short before meeting.

He  only gives me one of his toe curling, bedimpled smile and moves a little closer to me. 

"You just have to take a second to breathe and take a break. Your brain needs some rest as well, you know." He says, squeezing my arms, trying to help me release some of my stress. "Close your eyes." I look at him, confused. 

He chuckles and runs his hand over my eyes. "Just close your eyes." I keep my eyes shut. "Okay." I slouch my back, surrendering to his odd request. "Now, just don't think about anything. Just take a deep breath and release. Take in the cool wind." His voice was calm and cool, it was reassuring. 

I clear my thoughts and take a deep breath, now finally feeling the cool breeze that circulated around the massive Bangkok park. I release my breath and I instantly feel light and much more relaxed. I open my eyes and look at him, giving him a huge appreciative smile. "Better?" He asks me, his smile showing his anticipation. I nod my head. "Thank you." I say. He smiles and leans in, kissing my forehead. His kiss was brief, but I felt the warmth radiate from the spot where he kissed me, and with that small gesture, I feel a tad better. 

"See, I told you, you'd feel so much better here." He says, taking in the cool afternoon breeze. I watch him as he closes his eyes, a smile on his face as he props himself with his elbows. It was amazing how this man right here always knew how to cheer me up. He always made my mood a little brighter and he always brought out the calm I needed. 

He opens one of his eyes and catches me staring at him. He immediately starts smiling like a fool, showing off his perfectly white straight teeth. "You're staring at me like that, you must really be in love with me, huh?" He says it a sly grin on his face, his eyebrow at an arrogant arch.  

I feel the blood rush to my cheeks, heating it up, making me look like an overripe tomato. I look away and try to hide my shy smile, pinning my hair behind my ears. "As if. You're too full of yourself." I managed to say. 

My body bolts up when he suddenly kisses my cheek, adding to the already red tint on my face. "Hey." I hit his shoulders as he looks at me like a little school boy who had just found out his crush also likes him. "Don't worry, I'm really in love with you too." He says, winking his eyes. 

I couldn't help but laugh, shaking my head as I cup my face with my hands as an attempt to stop my face from blushing too much.

"And you're gonna love me more." I turn to him in confusion as he pulls something out from behind him. "Voila!" He extends his arms, showing me the tub of ice cream on one hand and cotton candy on the other. 

"Cotton candy and ice cream? What a great combo." I chuckle as he pulls out a spoon, opening the lid of the ice cream. "Oh, it's the best." He hands me the cotton candy and I open it, closing my eyes at the sweet flavor that melts in my tongue.