Sip (10)

Nadech

"My phone's ringing." Yaya manages to say in a breathy voice as I move to trail kisses on her neck. "Is it a matter of life and death?" I flash a grin against her skin, in between kisses. Her chest trembles beneath me as she chuckles. "I'm a doctor. Every call is always a matter of life and death."

I couldn't help but giggle as I place a soft bite on the crook of her neck, earning a stifled groan from her, masking the loud ringing of her phone.

Pressing a hard kiss on the side of her jaw, I finally release her from under my hold.

She pulls the covers over her, covering her exposed chest as she scoots closer to the bedside table.

Keeping the covers over my waist, I move to her direction. I wrap my arms around her as she answers the call, burying my face on the crook of her neck.

"What?" I feel her body stiffen. "Alright, I'm coming." She hastily says, authority screaming off of her as she ends the call.

"I have to go to the hospital." She turns to me, the urgency in her voice making me feel a certain twist in the inside of my stomach. "It's Ram. They took him in for an emergency surgery."

I bolt out of my calmed state at her statement, pushing myself on the soft mattress. "Why? What happened?"

She grabs the covers over her chest as she hastily scoots away. "I won't know 'til I get there." I watch her as she scurries to pick up the remnants of her clothes on the floor.

"I'll drive you, you'll get there faster." I quickly stand up, matching up her pace as I clothe myself with the clothes that scattered on the floor.

The drive to the hospital was a quick one, my car dashing through the empty 2am road. She didn't say another word to me as she jumped out of the front seat, practically running to the hospital entrance as she tries to put on her white coat.

Asking the nurses, I made my way to where I was told she was headed. At the end of the hall, in front of the huge doors that wore the flashing "Operating Room" sign, stood Ram' s disheveled mother who couldn't managed to be still.

"What happened?" I rush over to his mom, urging her to take a seat. She runs her palms over her face as she takes in a shaky deep breath. "I-I don't know. He was fine this morning and then a few minutes after he fell asleep, h-h h-he started seizing. A-an a-and an--"

She didn't get to finish her words as she bursted into another round of heavy tears. I slowly rub my palms over her back, a lame attempt at trying to ease her worries.

"Don't worry, he'll be fine. He's in good hands." I don't know if she nodded or was it the jerking from her crying, but nonetheless, I continue to somehow comfort her sorrow by sitting beside her as I stared at the doors.

An hour or probably two, we both sit in the hallway in silence. My foot has been tapping profusely on the hard tiled floor while Ram's mother continues to weakly lean her head against the cold wall.

When the doors before us opens, revealing a gowned nurse, we both bolt up to meet her. Trying to make sure Ram's mother was steady, I try to search for some answers from the nurse.

"How's it going in there?" I ask for Ram's mother as she practically almost kneels in front of the scrub nurse.

She gives me a look and lets out a short breath, and I knew she wasn't about to say something comforting.