Sip si (14)

Headlights.

Car.

Screeching.

Crashing.

Those were the last memories on my head that got me bolting up, covered in sweat as I got my breathing in check. I startle myself as I look around me, realizing I was in a hospital room with an IV attached to my hand.

I scan my body, surprised at the absence of any injury. It was clear in my memory, me, standing there in front of a car moving towards me. At the speed that it possessed I was sure I would have been tied to a bed fighting for my life.

But, clearly unscathed, my mind boggles me of what really happened.

Right on cue, the door opens revealing Margie in her usual white coat. She smiles at me as she struts towards me, but there was something in her eyes that gave me the chills as I anticipate what she was going to say.

"What happened? I was sure I just got involved in an accident." The smile on her face almost instantly gets wiped out. I see her picking on her nails and I knew her well enough that she was about to say something heavy to take in.

"You did." She says, trying to avoid my gaze. "I did? But I'm fine. Where's Nadech anyway? Has he been admitted?" She bites her lip and now looks me in the eyes as she moves closer.

She takes my hand in his and squeezes it. As soon as she does that, I knew something was about to hit me, harder than a car crash.

"Hey, I'm gonna tell you something and I want you calm down, okay?" She takes my hand and occupies the space beside me on the bed. My heart starts banging through the wall of my chest as I look at her with so much anxiety.

"You were about to get hit by a car. The driver was drunk and was speeding through red traffic lights. Just before you'd get hit, Nadech was fast enough to get to you." I felt like the world stopped spinning, and my heart fell to the pit of my stomach.

Finally reaching the car, Nadech cupped his pockets in search for the car keys. Finding them missing, he remembers he had Yaya keep them in her bag.

As he turned around to face her, he saw her crouched down fixing her shoelace. She was only a short distance away from the sidewalk, and the traffic light shone a bright red.

But what caught his eyes was the bright flashing lights that were rapidly nearing her despite the warning to stop. By the looks of it, the driver was in no way planning to come to halt, and with the speed he was going.

Watching Yaya stand up, the car speeding towards her, his immediate instinct was run towards her.

He allowed his feet to run him towards her, grabbing her by the arm and shielding her with his body. He felt her go limp in his arms but he held her tighter, closing his eyes as he felt the searing impact of the car on his body.

The last thing he felt was Yaya in his arms---not the pain----before he let the darkness consume him.

It was a tragic site for the bystanders around them. They were both sprawled on the asphalt road, seemingly lifeless.

Yaya was tucked safely in Nadech's body, her head on his arm as she lay unconscious. Nadech was still shielding her despite the lack of consciousness, his arm still around her as his head lay on the ground, thick hot blood slowly gushing out of his head.

"You passed out because of the shock, and Nadech. . . .h-he got the worst of it." I let out a shaky breath I've been holding in for so long as I listen to Margie's words painfully stabbing my heart.