Chapter 22

After dinner we decided to go upstairs and grab a few mattresses, it all fitted into Anne's room since she only had a single bed. She pushed that bed aside and also laid down hers. "So Diana and Jerry next to each other, me in between them and then Y/n and Gilbert." Anne mumbled more to herself.

She clapped her hands excitedly before frowning, "What's wrong, Anne?" Diana asked standing beside her, "You all have a lover and I don't, I'll never get someone to love me." She whispered.

"Gilbert and I aren't officially dating-"

"Yes but you're in love and hug, and kiss, and cuddle and all those things." Gilbert smiled and walked over to her, he rested his hand onto her shoulder and said, "I know there's a special someone that likes you."

Her eyes lit up as those words left his mouth, his very very kissable mouth- off topic... right.

"Who?!"

"William." He smirked as she hugged him close, I couldn't help but feel jealous, I bit my lip and look away, "How did you know?"

"He told Charlie and I was ears dropping."

"Eesdropping?" Jerry asked, "What does that even mean, after almost 2 years I still don't know!" Diana smiled softly before pushing him softly.

We all sat down on our mattresses and started talking, suddenly the conversation goes to Gilbert about how life was in America.

"It was great, it was in New York and its a lot more crowded than here."

"Does something happen that you came back?" Jerry asked with his French accent, "Yeah, um, I guess I missed the things and people I had here." Everyone turned to look at me as Gilbert blushed a dark red.

"Awww! You two are so adorable! Just make it official again!" Anne yelled out into the night as it was probably around 12.

"I'm tired." Diana said, everyone then decided to just go to sleep, I laid down and wrapped the blanket around Gilbert and I, he smiled and wrapped his arms around me pulling me into his chest.

I snuggled into him and kissed his cheeks softly, "Goodnight, darling." I smiled and slowly felt my body relax and slept a dreamless dream.

*^*^*

"Gilbert! Jerry! Get up!" Suddenly the door opened, Matthew looked at the two boys, "There's a fire at the Jones's!" I suddenly sit up feeling Gilbert leave the mattress and my arms.

Wait the Jones's? that's William's family.

"Gil-"

"We gotta go!" Gilbert, Jerry and Matthew both ran out, but Gilbert turned around and kissed me, "Stay here, with the others."

"N-no! I'm coming with you!"

He shook his head as Matthew yelled for him to get going, the all grabbed a horse and started heading to town.

"Let's go, we can take the carriage!" Anne yelled as she grabbed our hands and pulled us over to the carriage, luckily there were two more horses left, I thought we only had two?

Maybe Gilbert and Jerry took there own horses to get here but that sound unlikely since Gilbert haven't gotten home yet since he came back to Avonlea.

We stepped up as Anne suddenly stopped, "Who has ever drove a carriage before?" Diana asked, I grabbed the robe and smiled, "Gilbert learned me on the way back to his home once." And after that we were off.

Soon the burning house came in sight, Anne was the first to jump off, she looked around the house, "Where's William?!" Diana quickly walked over to Anne. I froze, where's Gilbert.

"GIVE ALL THE BUCKETS TO GILBERT!" I heard a voice yell, "Y/n!" I looked beside me seeing Mary ran over to me, I quickly ran over to her and hugged her but I could reach her.

"W-Wait, are you-?"

"Pregnant? Yes, yes I am. But now isn't the best time to get all excited! Where's Gilbert?" I looked over to the roof seeing him struggling onto the roof as all the men from down below have him the water filled buckets.

"What if he falls?" I whispered, she wrapped her arms around me before probably looking for Bash.

"Why are the windows and doors still open?" Anne suddenly asked as she struggled to get out of Marilla's grip. "What?" Diana asked, "Fire needs air to breath, I need to do something!" Before any of us could react she was already gone.

"Anne?" Heard Gilbert say I looked over at him seeing him struggle too keep his feet into the roof as it was wet, "Gil! Watch out!" Diana yelled, I quickly looked over to him fall backwards, I quickly ran over there but I was too late.

I stopped to my knees beside him feeling his pulse, "Please someone help!" Bash quickly made his way over us as tears ran down my face.

"Blythe! Blythe! Come on boy, don't you give up now!" I grabbed his face gently cupping his cheek, I felt a hand go to my shoulder but I didn't look up.

"We need to get him to Charlotte town! Now!" Bash yelled out but it all seemed like a blur, all I could remember is seeing Gilbert taking away by Bash and that was the moment I blacked out.