Chapter 2

That morning, Remy woke up first. She looked around the island. It was gloomy, but it was definitely beautiful. It was her first time seeing it by day. The water was a mixture of the color green and blue. She has never seen a beach with a sand so white it almost looked like snow. The wind was a bit cool, but it felt nice when it softly blew on her aching wounds. She smiled as the ocean breeze hit her face. She closed her eyes and listened to the sound of the waves. She was hungry, thirsty and in so much pain, but she inhaled and thanked God that she was alive, something she hasn't done in years. Then she looked at the woman who slept next to her. Her heart dropped to her stomach when she thought Sarah wasn't breathing. When she finally did, Remy sighed in relief. She didn't know what she'll do without her on the island with her. She was scared to be on that island, but having her with her made all the difference. She knows she can't make it on her own. She knows none of them can't make it on their own. She knows they need each other to survive. She swallowed at the sight of her. Her heart ached to see her all beaten up. This was the first time she had really seen all of Sarah's injuries. Her face had dried up blood that came from her head. She still had the cloth she ripped from her pants tied around her head. Her eyes looked like someone had punched her and given her a black eye. Her face, arms and legs also had cuts and bruises everywhere. Her clothes were torn off. Remy swallowed. She couldn't help but cry a little. It hurt her to think Sarah was in as much pain as she was. She wiped the tears in her eyes as she watched her idol sleep. She said a quick prayer for the both of them. She asked the Lord for healing and protection. Then she slowly got up, but she fell back to the sand which startled Sarah and woke her up. "Remy?" She said as she struggled to get up. "Huy, okay ka lang?" She asked. She saw Remy's arms shake uncontrollably as she pushed herself up. She was extremely worried about her. "Okay lang, ate. Sorry nagising kita. Kulang pa yung pahinga mo, tulog ka pa," Remy said after Sarah crawled towards her. "San ka nanaman ba kasi pupunta bata ka?" Sarah asked worriedly. Then before Remy could answer, she was caught off guard when Sarah gently gave her a hug. Her added weight made it hard for her to breathe as her rib pain ached like hell, but Sarah's gesture brought her comfort like no other. She didn't know what to do at first. She was too shy to hug her back, but she didn't want to miss the opportunity so she wrapped her arms around her gently. "Okay ka lang, ate?" She asked worriedly. Sarah nodded. She didn't let go of her, so Remy hugged her even more, careful not to hurt her. "Bakit parang hindi?" Remy asked to make sure. She could feel that something was bothering her. Sarah was quiet the whole time. "Ate," Remy said. "Okay lang ako, Remy," Sarah said as she let go of the hug. Then she gently rubbed Remy's arms as if she was trying to warm her up. Remy stared at her idol for a long time. "Ate, sabi mo let's be honest diba? Sabi mo diba mag-sasabi tayo sa isa't isa tuwing may nararamdaman tayo both physically and mentally? Please tell me din kung may nag-babother sayo na mga thoughts. Mababaliw ka lang if you try to keep it in kaya please don't hesitate to let those out to me. Okay lang ba yun, ate?" Remy asked. Sarah nodded. "Wala, Remy. Okay lang talaga ako. Naisip ko lang sila sa bahay, yung pamilya ko. Naisip ko lang din yung trabaho ko. Ang daming commitments na hindi ko matatapos. Ayoko lang ng dinidisappoint yung mga tao sa paligid ko. Ayoko ng pinapa-worry sila. Ayoko din ng dumadagdag pa ako sa mga kelangan nila isipin," Sarah confessed. Her eyes looked sad. Remy smiled a little. She took a deep breath as she tilted her head towards Sarah. She still could not believe the heart Sarah has. "Hanggang ngayon, pati dito yun pa din naiisip mo. Dugoan ka na't lahat lahat, iniisip mo pa rin yung mga responsibilidad mo sa mga tao sa paligid mo. Napaka-selfless mo talaga, ate. You always think about others before yourself. Inuuna mo yung needs nilang lahat. You always make sure na they're taken care of. Kahit dito sa islang toh sila pa rin iniisip mo. Maybe ate this is God's way para sarili mo naman muna isipin mo. Kasi wala ka ng choice eh. Wala ka ng choice but to focus and think about yourself dito sa islang toh because if you don't, you won't survive. Maybe this is your chance to have time for yourself. Si papa God na mismo ang gumawa ng paraan so you can have your alone time," Remy said. Sarah nodded. "Alam ko naman yun, Remy. Di ko lang maiwasang isipin yung problemang dala nito sa mga tao sa paligid ko. Yung worry na binigay ko sa kanila kung asan nako, kung buhay pa ba ako. Syempre hindi natin maiwasan isipin kung ano na nangyayari sa kanila ngayon. Mabigat na news toh para sa kanilang lahat. Mahirap dahil wala silang kaalam alam kung buhay pa ba tayo o hindi. Mahirap dahil wala silang kaalam alam kung asan tayo, kung buhay pa nga tayo. Mahirap yun lalo na sa pamilya ko. I'm sure ganun din yun sa pamilya mo," Sarah said quietly. She swallowed back her emotions. "Hindi siguro ate," Remy answered quietly as well. Then she looked at the ocean. "Pano mo naman nasabi? Pamilya mo yun, syempre mag-woworry yun sayo," Sarah asked worriedly. Remy looked at Sarah again, then she smiled a little. "Pwede hanap muna tayo ng maiinom at makakain ate bago tayo mag-kwentohan?" Remy asked half-jokingly. "Ay oo, sige, sige. Naku patay tayo neto kung buko yung kelangan natin akyatin," Sarah joked. Although, she sort of meant what she said. Remy laughed. "Wala kang choice ate, ikaw ang aakyat," Remy said as she and Sarah helped each other get up. "Hala, bakit ako?" Sarah asked, surprised. "Ikaw yung payatot eh. Mas mabigat kaya ako sayo. Mas may laman ako oh. Di hamak naman siguro na mas kaya mong iakyat yung weight mo dun sa coconut tree," Remy said. "Hala sya," Sarah said. "Tsaka we have better chances of survival kung malalaglag ka, I can probably catch you. Eh for sure kung ako yung malaglag, baka tepok ako kasi di mo ako kaya salohin. Tapos bali bali pa yang buto mo if ever dahil sa bigat ko," Remy said half-jokingly. "Hoy, ayoko ng ganyang joke Remy ha. Walang malalaglag. Walang mababalian ng buto. Walang mamamatay," Sarah said as she and Remy made their way through the shore and into the forest. Remy grinned, "Ay sabi ko nga po."