Chapter 14

Day 8 February 12, 2019 7:00 am

Sarah woke up feeling a bit more sore than usual. She looked towards Remy who was still sound asleep. She decided not to wake her up while she went by the bushes to go to the bathroom. Afterwards, she tried to stretch her body. Then she checked on the fire. She added more firewood to both fires before she sat back on the bed of leaves right next to Remy. Then Sarah meditated, she closed her eyes and said a prayer. Half an hour later, Sarah looked towards the fire as she listened very carefully to the sound that was ringing in her ears. "Plane?" She said to herself. She got up quickly. "Remy," she woke her up hurriedly. "Hm?" Remy said then she opened her eyes and squinted. "Remy, may plane yata," Sarah said then she got up. Remy grimaced in pain as she got up. Her legs were getting weaker each day. Sarah held her hand as they immediately went towards the shore. When they got there, Sarah looked up and checked the sky. There was no plane in sight. "Remy, narinig mo rin ba?" She asked, but there was no answer. "Remy," she said as she turned around. "Remy!" She said again as Remy lied unconscious on the sand. "Remy," she said while her voice quivered. "Ano nangyayari?" She asked. Remy was barely awake. Sarah held her forehead, but she didn't have any fever. "Remy," she called to her again. "Kaya mo tumayo? Ha? Remy," she said while she tried to get her to stay with her. "Ano nararamdaman mo?" Sarah asked again. She was extremely worried about her friend. Remy took a deep breath. Her eyes were barely open. "Just tired," she said quietly. "Okay, Remy. Okay. Umm, pano kaya toh? Kaya mo ba tumayo?" Sarah asked, but Remy didn't respond. Her eyes were closed this time. "Remy," Sarah started to cry. "Ano nangyari sayo?" She whined while she rubbed Remy's arms and tapped her face lightly. Remy still didn't answer. Sarah grew even more nervous. "Dito ka lang ha, 'wag moko iiwan, Remy. 'Wag ganun, please naman," Sarah begged. Remy shook her head in response. "Promise mo yan," Sarah said again. Her hands were shaking by then. "Dyan ka lang, kukuha ako ng gamit, kelangan siguro dito na tayo sa may dagat mag-bahay kasi ang tagal ng lakad natin papunta dito galing sa loob ng gubat eh. 'Wag ka mag-alala. Ako na gagawa ng lahat nun ha? Magpa-lakas ka lang, Remy. Please lang. Please," Sarah pleaded. Remy nodded. There was clearly something wrong with her, and Sarah knew it all along. Sarah gave her friend a quick hug before she managed to get up and hurry towards the forest. She looked at their shelter. She stared at it worriedly. She wondered if she could carry it all the way to the shore instead of building a different one. Then she shook her head. She finally decided that the mud they created on their little shelter's roof made it impossible for her to carry it all the way to the shore with her injured body. "Sarah, kalma," she said to herself. She tried to dig deep inside of her to figure out what to do first. Then she went all over the forest trying to look for some wood. She placed whatever wood and stone she could find inside the luggage they have found. Then she also got the mason jars with the water they had already boiled and carried it with her towards the shore.

When she arrived back at the beach, Remy's body was still slumped on the sand. It didn't seem like she moved at all. Sarah let the luggage fall on the sand as she hurried towards Remy. "Remy," she said. Her eyes were closed and she wasn't moving. "Remy naman eh," Sarah cried. Then Remy made a sound. She grabbed Sarah's arm and gave it a gentle squeeze to let her know she was still with her. "Inom, inom ka dali," Sarah said as she lifted Remy's head up so she could drink. "Remy," Sarah called onto her again to get her attention. "Kahit konti, sige na, para kay ate Sarah, please," Sarah begged. Remy opened her eyes. Then her eyebrows met. "May pain ka, halata naman eh. Saan ha, Remy? Nasan yung pain mo?" Sarah asked as she frowned. Remy held her stomach in response. Sarah couldn't hold it anymore. She started sobbing. She knew from the start that something was going on inside Remy's body. She figured that was the reason why she hasn't gone to the bathroom to do her business ever since they got stuck on the island. "Sabi ko naman sayo eh," Sarah said. Her tears fell onto Remy's face. "I'm okay," Remy said, but Sarah could tell she wasn't alright just by her breathing. "Mawawala ka na ba sakin, Remy?" Sarah asked while she cried. Remy smiled a little. She opened her eyes quickly and then closed them again. "Praning," she said quietly. Her little remark threw Sarah off. "Ako kaya mag-agaw buhay dyan, nakaka-inis ka," Sarah said as she cried again. "Hindi mo na nga halos mabuka yung mata mo, tapos ako pa tong praning? Nag-collapse ka na nga Remy eh. Please naman oh," Sarah said. "Ate, I'm okay. Just give me time to rest, okay?" Remy said. "Okay, basta babalik ka. 'Wag ka pupunta sa kung anong place tapos dun ka na magrerest. Ayoko ng ganun," Sarah said. She couldn't help but be paranoid. "Sssh, I'm okay," Remy tried to reassure her. "Ate," she said. "O 'wag ka mag-bibilin. Kakainis ka naman eh," Sarah said while she shook her head. "No, hindi ako mag-bibilin. I just wanted to remind you to not force yourself din kung ano man gagawin mo," Remy said as she looked at Sarah weakly. Sarah nodded. "Gagawan ko lang tayo ng shelter dito sa shore para dito na muna tayo. Mahihirapan kasi tayo tumakbo dito kung sakaling may plane nga katulad kanina, kita mo o, napwersa ka," Sarah said. She looked at Remy worriedly. "Just a bit of pain, I'll manage ate. I'll get up and help you in a bit. You can wait for me para tulong tulong na lang tayo," Remy said. Then she closed her eyes. "Remy, ang tulong na gusto ko gawin mo is magpalakas ka. Yun lang, masaya nako. Wala ka ng kelangan gawin pa," Sarah said and Remy nodded. "I'm just going to lay here for a bit, ate. Don't worry about me," Remy tried to reassure her again. Sarah nodded, but her eyes were still sad.