Chapter 13

Matteo sat by his phone for hours, staring and waiting for a message or a phone call from his girlfriend. "You have to eat son," mama Glenna said worriedly. "Not right now, 'ma. I'll eat when I"m hungry," he said. He had lost his appetite the moment they confirmed that Sarah was one of the passengers of the missing Philippine Airlines flight. "I don't want you to get sick. I'm sure Sarah wouldn't like it either if she finds out you're neglecting yourself," mama Glenna said to him again. "I'm not neglecting myself, 'ma. What's one meal that I'd skip?" He said, then he stood up and went outside to sit in their backyard alone. His parents watched as Matteo sat on the ground and bowed his head down. He continued to stare at his phone. He prayed to God for Sarah's safety. He prayed hard for him to receive some good news.

About ten hours have gone by since the plane was missing, still no news of the plane's whereabouts were reported. Remy's family and Camila all sat in the living room with the news on the television as they waited for some updates. "Did she tell you why she wanted to come home, Cami? I thought she never wanted to come back home. She hated the pollution and the traffic there. She hated the crimes. I don't know what would make her want to come home. Not to mention she knows she can't come back here once she returns home," Rita said. Her daughter's sudden decision to come home confused her. Camila shook her head. "Wala po syang sinabi except na her life is not working out here in the U.S.," she told them. Rita took a deep breath. "Ano kaya naisipan ng batang yun? I don't understand her sometimes," she said, frustrated. "Tita, right now let's focus on getting some updates. Wala na rin pong use to try and find out why she decided to come home. The point is that she's on that plane, she's one of the passengers of that missing plane. Dun na lang po tayo mag-focus," Camila suggest. Rita nodded. Richard sighed. "Ayan kasi, Rita. Padalos dalos ka kasi sa mga decision mo. Padalos dalos kasi yang bibig mo," he said angrily. "What? Why is this pinned down on me now? I didn't tell her na lumayas sa bahay at umuwi ng Pinas--" Rita said when her husband cut her off. "Eh yun na nga. Kung hindi mo pinalayas edi sana di yun mag-babalak na umuwi ng Pilipinas. Kita mo ngayon, laking problema na tuloy," Richard grumbled. "Hoy, Ricky, 'wag ka mag-malinis. Nung andito yung anak mo, hindi mo naman pinapansin. Humahalik nga sa pisngi mo tuwing umaalis at dumadating ng bahay, wala kang ka-rea-reaction. Parang walang tao sa harap mo. Pag kinakausap ka, hindi mo sinasagot. Pag andyan sa harap mo, di mo pinapansin. Tapos sakin nanaman napunta ngayon?" Rita pointed out angrily. "Heck, you're both at fault! So stop with your arguing!" Russell couldn't help but yell. "Ate Cami's right, you both treated her like shit. You treated her like she's invisible, dad. And you blamed her for everything, mom. And don't even try to deny it. Kinakausap mo nga sya, but all you do is yell at her. One time you said to her kasalanan nya why her brothers are always out of the house because we can't stand her? Ang totoo, I can't stand your yelling. Lagi kang galit. Lagi kang sumisigaw. It's not her that I can't stand. It's all of you," Russell said. Then he left the house. "Russell," both Remy's parents called out to him at the same time. Rita was about to follow him outside, but Camila stopped her. "Ako na po," she volunteered. Then she hurried outside to follow Russell. "Russ, don't you dare drive. Papatayin ako ng ate Remy mo if she finds out na I just let you drive when you're upset and so full of emotions. Calm yourself down," Camila ordered. "Let's talk inside the car, ate, bago pa lumabas yung mga yun," Russell said then he went inside the car. Camila did as she was told.

When they got inside the car, Russell rested his head on the backseat. "What's on your mind?" Camila asked. "Ewan ate, I'm just mad sa nanay at tatay ko," he admitted, then he shook his head. "Tama ka naman eh," Camila said quietly. "Nakakainis kasi eh. Nawawala na nga yung anak nila, pwedeng patay na sya, tapos ganun pa sila. Instead na magka-isa, nag-away pa. Ang nakaka-inis pa lalo is that they do the blame game. Parehas sila na kala mo walang ginawang masama. Parehas sila nagmama-linis. Pero parehas naman talaga silang may mali. Parehas silang may pagkukulang kay ate Remy. Lahat kami may pagkukulang sa kanya. Instead na they just swallow their pride, and own up to their mistakes, nagsisisihan pa. Hindi nakakatulong. Nakakainis pa lalo," Russell said. He was beyond disappointed with his parents. "Take it easy, Russ. Hayaan mo na sila. You know how your parents are. I mean even kami nga na mga kaibigan ni Remy alam how they are eh. We've been friends long enough and we hang out long enough with your family to know how they function," Camila said, trying to calm Remy's brother down. "I apologize for their attitudes. It's annoying and it's embarrassing. They can't even stop themselves kahit na andyan ka," Russell said disappointingly. "Russ, don't feed into their attitude. You're getting worked up sa kanila eh alam mo namang wala ka ng magagawa pa and you can't control how they act and how they react. Save your time and energy, Russ. You're going to need it. We're going to need all of the energy we can for the next few hours and maybe in the days ahead," Camila advised. Russell nodded. "You're right. Ate, it's too late. Hindi ka pa ba hinahanap ng parents mo?" He asked. "No, I'll be fine," Camila answered. Russell nodded again. The two of them stayed in the car while they checked their phones for any updates about the flight. All of them felt the tension and worry strengthening as each hours passed, praying to God that Remy is somewhere safe and alive.