Chapter 21

Sarah woke up strapped securely in a stretcher. She couldn't move her head or any part of her body. She looked around, her vision was blurry. "Remy?" She said. She was frowning the whole time as she tried to move her head. "Sarah, anak," Daddy Delfin immediately held her by the head. "Daddy?" Sarah replied. Then she burst into tears. "Daddy," she cried. She tried to see clearly by blinking her eyes a few times. "Anak," Daddy Delfin immediately cried out loud. He gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead as he cried. "Lovey," Matteo also made his presence known. "Hey, love," he greeted her while he held her shoulder gently. He sighed in relief. Tears of worry, relief, and joy fell from his eyes. Sarah squinted. "Love," she said. "You're alive. You're alive. You're here. Oh, I'm so happy to see you," he said as he choked on his tears. "Si Remy? Asan si Remy? Nakuha nyo din ba si Remy? Mas kelangan nya ng tulong kesa sakin, mas kelangan nya ng doctor. Asan si Remy?" Sarah asked frantically. Then she started crying. "Sssh, it's okay, love. You're okay. You're going to be okay. You're safe now. You're here inside an emergency plane, we're bringing you to the hospital. We got you, okay? We got you. You're safe now," Matteo tried to reassure her. "Hindi love, si Remy kasi eh. Si Remy yung kelangan ng tulong. Sya yung sobrang daming injuries. May sakit pa sya. Please naman, love oh. Asan sya? Sabihin mo sakin nasan sya," Sarah begged as she cried. Matteo looked at daddy Delfin worriedly. "Anak," daddy Delfin said. "Sino si Remy?" He asked worriedly. "Daddy, sya yung kasama ko. Sya yung kasama ko dun sa isla. Asan na sya? 'Wag nyo naman sabihin na naiwan nyo sya dun ng mag-isa," Sarah said worriedly. Tears kept falling from her eyes. "Love," Matteo caressed her hair gently. "I think you're severely dehydrated, you're so injured--," Matteo was trying to explain as he held her by the head, but Sarah shook her head aggressively. "Hindi! Hindi nyoko naiintindihan! Hindi ako dehydrated dahil may tubig kami doon! Si Remy! Si Remy, asan sya? San nyo sya dinala? Iniwan nyo ba sya? Asan si Remy? Asan yung kaibigan ko? Kelangan nya ng tulong! Mamamatay sya kung hindi natin sya tutulongan!" Sarah cried out loud. Then she ended up sobbing even more. Daddy Delfin held her daughter worriedly. Matteo swallowed nervously. They both tried their hardest to calm her down. "Love," was all Matteo could say. "Asan sya? Asan sya?" Sarah asked over and over. Tears wet the side of her head as she continued to cry. Her breathing became heavier and faster. "Hahanapin natin sya, okay?" Matteo finally said. Daddy Deflin looked at Matteo as he frowned. Then Matteo shook his head. "We'll find her for you, love. We'll do that, okay? Just--just relax for now. Breathe. Please. Don't aggravate your injuries any further. We need you to stay calm, okay? We need you to do that for us," Matteo begged. His face was also wet with tears. Sarah continued to cry. Her chest rose and fell as she breathed fast. "I'm sorry, Remy," she said as she cried. Matteo and daddy Delfin stared at her with deep concern. Then they each held her hand as the two men tried to comfort her.

A couple of hours later, they finally arrived at the hospital, Sarah had not stopped crying ever since she woke up on the plane. The nurses instructed Matteo and daddy Delfin to wait outside. Matteo bent down. He held on to his knees for support. Then he started sobbing as he bowed down. Daddy Delfin leaned against the wall as he cried, too. "Ano sa tingin mo yung sinasabi nya, Matt?" He asked worriedly. Matteo stood up straight while he wiped his face, then he stared at the floor and shook his head. "I really don't know, tito. She's got a nasty cut on her forehead that has sort of healed on its own, but I'm afraid that the impact somehow affected her and her thinking. I--I don't know," he answered truthfully. Daddy Delfin nodded. He was scared, too. "Nung nakita nyo sya sa island, sya lang ba mag-isa?" He asked again. "I got a call from the Philippine coast guard that they have found a woman on an island when the chopper was roaming around. They thought it could possibly be Sarah. Pero they said they had problems lowering the chopper because the wind was so strong, baka mag-crash daw sila sa ocean, so they had to go back. They had to send a boat instead. They thought that would be safer and easier din for everyone else if Sarah needed to be in a stretcher. Sabi kasi nila they circled the island to see where they can land safely, pero there was just too much rocks by the shore tapos yun nga po, the wind was too strong. They had no choice but to send boats instead. That gave them time to contact me and you. I was just at the right place at the right time kaya nakasama ako. When we got there, we were alarmed kasi we didn't find anyone until we were closer to the shore. Sarah was laying on the sand. Her body looked lifeless as she laid there. I really thought patay na sya, and that we were all too late. Pero one of the men riding on the chopper na has seen her said na she was strong enough to run towards the water banda when she saw them, and that she waved to them excitedly. But still, natakot ako because I thought maybe she ended up giving up dahil she thought the chopper was not coming back for her. When I saw her laying there, I thought either she has killed herself or maybe she has succumbed to her injuries, or I don't know, but my negative thoughts were really bombarding me that time," Matteo recalled as he wiped his tears. Daddy Delfin shook his head. "Hindi magagawa yun ng anak ko," he said. Matteo nodded. Then he continued. "When we arrived, the coast guard was sent to roam around the island looking for other survivors while I and the others tended to her. When we were about to load her onto the boat, she woke up a little bit. She said the name, 'Remy'. So I told them to make sure not to leave the island without searching ng maayos for other people that could have been there with her. When we have reached the station where the plane was waiting, I got word from the people that swept through that island that there were no other people there except for Sarah. They said they found two shelters: one by the shore and one inside the forest close to another body of water. They searched those two shelters, but nobody was there. There were no other survivors," Matteo explained as he swallowed. "Kung wala, sino yung Remy na binabanggit nya ng paulit ulit?" Daddy Deflin asked. Matteo shook his head. "I really don't know, tito. I'm worried about her," he admitted. Daddy Deflin took a deep breath. He was worried about his daughter's well-being and emotional state, too. Then, two men paced around the waiting room as they waited for the doctor to come out.