Sacrifices

"Come on Louis! We are gonna get trapped in a herd!" Louis ran through the trees on the boarders of the safe zone.
We were so close.
My mind raced as my breath started to not be enough for my body's movement.
"Louis! Are you coming?!"
"I'm still alive!" Louis shouted back.
"Good! Keep going!"
I stepped into the safe zone and traps started going off to deplete the amount of the hoard.
"Louis??!" I shouted as I looked back and didn't see him.
"Louis!?" My grey bear raced even harder at the thought that my best friend could be dead.
"Louis!!" I shrieked.
"Help!!" He shouted.
I hightailed it harder then I ever have in the direction of the plea.
"Louis!!"
"Over here!!" I ran at the voice and peered over the bush to see Louis being held down by a walker.
I ran at the walker and axed him in the head.
"Come on louis!"
I grabbed his hand and pulled him up.
I interlocked our fingers so I could run with him.
We both got into the safe zone but walkers were still swarming.
"We are almost there!!" I shouted as we still ran.
I could hear my heartbeat in my ears as my feet pounded against the ground. I felt a tug from Louis and I looked back to see Louis being pulled by a walker.
I felt a tug on my axe and a walker without legs was grabbing onto it. I shoved the axe up into the skull of the walker and turned to Louis's problem.
The walker reared back to bite down on Louis.
I screamed and jumped in front of Louis. I shoved my hand in the walkers face and the walker bit down.
I screamed out in pain. Louis backed up and I shoved the walker off to stun it. I turned around and grabbed the axe out of the walker skull sheath.
I swung it around and struck the still alive walker in the head.
I breathed heavily as the walker population depleted.
"Let's go!" Louis called as he was in front of me. I grabbed my hand as it bled and ran to the gate in the distance.
The gate flung open and Louis and I ran inside.
The gates slammed close, crushing a walker in the middle of it, and Louis and I finally caught our breath.
"Help her! She got bit! Help her!" Louis shouted as he helped me walk.
My body was so tired and I was starting to get tired from the blood loss.
"Ruby! Help her!! She can't die!" Louis cried as he sat me down on the table.
"We'd have to cut her hand off. The infection can't spread. If she denies the procedure, there is nothing we can do."
"Let's do it." I accepted through gritted teeth.
"Are you sure?" Ruby asked with wide eyes.
"Yes!!" I screamed "Just do it!"
Ruby picked up my axe and dipped it in the fire.
After she did that she quickly dipped it in the clean water.
"Ready?" Ruby asked. I nodded and Louis grabbed my other hand.
"Squeeze as hard as you need to." I started to sob as I knew what was coming.
"DO IT!" I screamed.
I looked at Louis in the eyes and he looked right back at me.
Louis cooed to me and ruby thrusted the axe down. He flinched but didn't close his eyes.
In that moment I felt the worst pain I've ever been in.
I screamed bloody murder as I felt a numbness and a fire raging through my wrist and arm.
Ruby rushes over and put gauze and cloth really tightly around my wrist.
"You're okay beautiful. Look at me. You'll be okay. You're okay." Louis cooed as tears poured out and sobs emitted to numb my pain.
"This is all I can do for now. I've wrapped it as tight as possible."
"Thank you Ruby. That really must be hard."
"I've gotten used to it." I refused to look behind me in fear I'd see my hand.
Ruby picked up something with a bloody cloth and I assumed it was what I didn't want to see.
I buried my face into Louis's chest.
He wrapped his arms around me and cuddled me as long as I needed.
"You're okay. You're alive. The bite is gone. Your not gonna die. You can still wake up and see me every morning. You can kiss me goodnight still. And you can still be blessed with my handsome face."
He tried to make me laugh through the pain and it was kind of working.
"Keep making me laugh." I begged.
He continued to tell me jokes all night which helped the pain.
"You were so so brave." Louis still cooed a couple hours after the deed had been done.
"I'm just glad I was so pumped on adrenaline that I didn't second guess my choice."
He stayed silent and just held me.
"Do you think everyone else is finding us weird because my best friend was saying boyfriend like things to me?"
"What they don't know won't hurt them." He laughed.
"I guess the whole boyfriend thing is out of the bag now, isn't it?"
"Depends on if they're smart enough." Louis shrugged and laughed.
I kept staring at my new nub.
"Don't worry. You'll get used to seeing it." He gave me a weak smile.
"Really?"
He held out his hand and reminded me off his finger.
"Oh yeah." I spoke softly.
"Obviously mines not as major as yours but still."
"It's okay. But if you start calling me nubby I'll break up with you!" I warned.
"I would never." He responded seriously.
"Good."
He laughed and took my hand.
"Even with one hand you're still everything to me and more."