Chapter 3

In his usual exuberance, Patton called out for the others, "Dinner is ready!" Just after they had first moved in, Patton had insisted they have dinner together at least once a week. It was his way of kindling a bond between the four of them. There had, of course, been a little resistance at first. Virgil had been the first to agree, though Patton assumed it had only been because of the puppy eyes. After that, Virgil then convinced Logan. The two had a long debate but Virgil was able to convince Logan that building a strong basis for communication would help ease any disagreements in the future. Roman had been easy. Being one for theatrics, Roman did not like the idea of being kept out of the weekly gossip. So the four men fell into a routine of having dinner together every Friday night.

"Thank you for cooking Patton." Logan adjusted his glasses as he entered the room, nodding to Virgil who was already sitting in his spot. "Though you do not have to cook every week. We are more than capable of helping with this social experiment."

"Oh, but I don't mind Logan." He smiled at Logan calling it a social experiment. "You are all welcome to come join me for the cooking, but it's something I have been doing for a while."

"Well, that being said, if you need assistance, I am willing to offer it, but I have nothing beyond a technical knowledge of cooking."

"Wait you never learned to cook before?" Patton looked surprised but it made a bit of sense. Logan was really book smart.

"It was not a skill that took priority in my family. Though I did learn much about nutrition and proper meal preparation, I never put it into practice."

"Not a priority? What did your family do for food?"

"Well, my father was a rather prolific doctor. We had someone who would come in and cook our meals for the week."

Patton frowned as if he was trying to fix together the pieces of a complicated Puzzle. "Well didn't you live alone for a short time before moving in with us?"

"Yes, during my college years."

The pieces were still there, taunting poor Patton. "What did you do during that time?"

"Probably lived off ramen like the rest of us." Virgil whispered. Patton looked at Virgil.

"Virgil no." He said in a hushed whisper.

"Nothing so unhealthy, you two. Please give me some credit. I frequented many restaurants and cafes that specializes in balanced nutritional meals."

Roman walked in, holding a small set of papers that he was examining.

"That must have been very expensive Lo." There it was. Logan had grown up in a rich family hadn't he?

"Well yes, that was one of many of the reasons I chose to find a place with roommates. I knew that living with other people was going to be less of a drain on my budget as rent would be cheaper and with the ease in my wallet. I did not expect to be able to put my skills into practice. Nor did I expect to have a roommate who enjoys cooking. I have been fortunate to have your kindness Patton."

Patton smiled, the confusion and curiosity fading. He had had so many questions but they were all lost when Logan complimented him. "Thank you Logan, that's so sweet. I'm happy to keep cooking but if you want to put some of your skills into practice I can duck out next week."

"Duck out?" His brows knitted together before he understood, "Oh... yes, no, I think it would be most beneficial to have someone who has actual practice with the craft to supervise me."

Patton smiled and clapped, "Well I will happily teach you how to cook kiddo!"

"Not your son."

Roman, finally putting his script down, "What's going on Padre?" Logan felt as if Roman had said that just to antagonize him.

"Logan is going to cook for us next family night!"

"Really? I didn't know the bionic boy could cook."

Logan frowned, straightening his shoulders and his tie. "Cooking is just following a recipe, I am sure if I follow the instructions precisely than it will be no problem." He looked at Roman and before he knew what was coming out of his mouth, "I'm sure it is nor different than following a computer program."

"That's not what I...." Roman rubbed the back of his neck as he sat down. Him and Logan shared a look before they looked back to the fatherly figure.

Patton served up all of the food with a smile. They were about to begin eating when Roman's phone went off. He looked at it, frowned and silenced his phone before shoving it in his pocket.

"Who's that, Roman?" Patton looked at him with curious eyes.

"No one important."