A Glimpse of the Past

I'm not sure any of you understand how blessed I am to have you all. I signed on today and realized that this book has gotten over 500 views!

This is the first time I have ever had a story reach that benchmark and I just wanted to let you know that I am so grateful! To show my gratitude, I have released an extra chapter about Lewis and Logan's backstory

This is the first time I have ever had a story reach that benchmark and I just wanted to let you know that I am so grateful! To show my gratitude, I have released an extra chapter about Lewis and Logan's backstory. It isn't going to be quite as coherent or as fluid, but I hope you enjoy it none the less. Thank you again, everyone. You are amazing, and words fail!

~~~Flashback~~~

"I'm home." Logan had moved in with his boyfriend after knowing him for only a few months. When everything started he had felt so loved. The emptiness that came with losing his father to cancer, subsided for a time. It was nice to have someone around to help ease the loneliness that clawed at him. Over the past month though, things had changed. Lewis showed affection but it had to be earned. He had to show that he loved Lewis and in turn, Lewis would do the same. No longer did Logan receive Lewis' shy kisses during a movie or his sweet encouragements. Logan wondered what had changed. Had he done something wrong? Maybe he was defective.

"Welcome home Lo-Lo, did you have a good day at class today?" Lewis didn't turn to look at him but continued to focus on the theater script in his hand.

"Yes." He knew Lewis didn't want to hear the answer. Why ask if you did not want your question answered? It confused Logan invariably, but he didn't broach the subject. Last time he had, Lewis had screamed about how he felt attacked.

"Do you think you would feel up to getting dinner ready for the two of us?"

"You are aware I don't know how to cook, correct?" Logan was almost 19, but he had never cooked before. His family had always had a private cook come in, and even when his father went into the hospital, Logan simply grabbed food on the way to see his dad.

"Right, right, perfect Logan's fatal flaw." Lewis sighed, putting down the script on the coffee table. The way Lewis rolled the world perfect, a shiver ran down Logan's spine and he felt the guilt engulf him.

"I'm sorry, but I'll make sure to do all of the dishes once we are done. Or I could return to the city and buy food."

"You are so sweet to me. It's healthier if we eat at home. I will cook." Logan couldn't tell if it was sarcasm, and he felt like he had done something wrong. It was best not to ask, he didn't want to push the subject and further anger Lewis. Instead, he kept silent, kept his face blank, pushed his emotions away. He wanted Lewis to love him and be proud of him, he would do what he needed to behave.

"Logan, you aren't sulking, are you? You know I love you." Lewis pulled out the pots and pans he would need before turning to Logan.

"I'm just thinking about my homework. I am aware that you love me. I love you as well"

"There's my Lo-Lo, always talking like some robot, so studious. Come here." He held out his arms. Logan hesitated before walking over to Lewis.

Though his words hurt, Logan didn't feel quite so alone in Lewis' arms. He hid his face in the shorter man's hair but didn't hug back. He had tried talking to Lewis about the effect his words had, but it had ended in an argument. Lewis accused Logan of being ungrateful. He reminded Logan of everything he had done wrong in the relationship so far. Logan didn't want to fight. He would just stand in Lewis' arms silently.

"I love you, Logan."

"I love you as well." His voice was monotone and quiet. He did love Lewis. Lewis was the only one who could handle his aversion to feelings. Lewis was the only one who could tolerate his ineptitude for practical knowledge. Lewis loved him, and thus, he loved Lewis.

"One day I might believe you."

His words pierced into Logan like a knife. "I am sorry for that."

"I know you are, and you are forgiven. You are bad with emotions, but I'll just remind you that I love you. One day, you will be able to tell me in a way that doesn't sound forced." He gave Logan a smile, pulling him gently by his tie into a kiss. "Alright, I'm going to go finish dinner."

Logan watched as Lewis turned around. He had done it again. He had made Lewis question his love. Logan sunk his fingernails into his upper arm. The pain gave him control, it gave him something to focus on. He was an awful boyfriend. He shouldn't have stayed so late at the library. He should have picked up dinner on his way home. He should know how to cook so that Lewis didn't have to. Logan turned and walked to their room where he had an office desk set up.

The least he could do was continue his exaggerated course load. The one thing he was good at was academics. If he could graduate faster then he could support Lewis. Logan looked at the notes spread out on his desk, but he couldn't focus. The letters swam in and out, taunting him. Logan needed to pull himself together. None of this was new to him. He was only good for his intelligence and logical mindset. Lewis deserved better but was kind enough to love him anyway. Logan needed to change so that he could be a more equal part in this relationship. He could actually learn to cook, put his practical knowledge into effect, or he could take on more chores around the house. Lewis always said he was fine with Logan focusing on his studies but that wasn't true, and Logan was afraid of losing Lewis. He had already lost too much. Without Lewis, he truly would be alone.

Logan looked down at the book in front of him. One line stood out and finally, he saw some clarity in the words.

'Loving me, should not be an obligation.'