Chapter 24

All four of them climbed into the car, Virgil had insisted on driving, as he always did when he was in a car, and Patton had requested to sit in the back with Roman. It was no secret that Patton was an affectionate person. It was also well known that Patton was a bit stubborn when it came to showing affection, he didn't take no for an answer. So, Roman didn't fight it as Patton laced his fingers tightly around Roman's, giving his hand a light squeeze.

Logan and Virgil in the front were quiet as Patton whispered sweet encouragements to Roman.

"You were the most handsome man up there."

"You did so well, I am so proud of you."

"You put in so much effort and it really showed."

The words drowned out the buzzing of Roman's phone, his thoughts focused on Patton's sweet words. Before they were even halfway to Starbucks, tears were sliding down Roman's face. He hadn't realized how much he needed and craved these words of encouragement. His heart drank up the sweet assurances like a sponge drank up water. He gripped Patton's hand tighter, not daring to make a sound.

Patton noticed. Patton always noticed, and he scooted closer, resting his head on Roman's shoulder. "A penny for your thoughts?" He whispered, snapping Roman out of his indulgence.

"What?" The confusion was written all over your face, not fully understanding and absorbing the words Patton had said. His mind was still catching up.

"Unless you are afraid of coppers."

Roman's lips were pursed in confusion until it dawned on him and a weak smile slipped onto his face.  "That was clever, Pat."

"No that was a joke!"

Roman snorted, and they could hear Logan audibly groan, hiding his face in his hand. No one noticed the slight smile he hid. Virgil was focused on the road and Roman and Patton were focused on each other.

Roman's smile and laugh only encouraged Patton.

"Do you know what an actor sings in the shower?"

Roman's smile grew and he shifted preparing himself, "What?"

"Soap operas."

Roman laughed harder, "that was excellent Padre." His shoulders relaxed and he looked a bit less stressed.

"Knock, knock!"

"Who's there?"

"We Olive."

"Olive Who?"

"We olive You!" (AN: Read as 'we all love you')

"That was funny, you always were amazing at making jokes, Pat."

"Serious though Ro, we care about you and we're here for you." He gave Ro's hand another squeeze as they pulled up to the brightly lit coffee shop.

Roman smiled again but it slipped away as felt his phone buzz once more. He stepped out of the car, hand going to his pocket but Logan was by his side, gently putting his hand on Roman's and shaking his head. "Leave it, just for tonight, don't concern yourself with what Lewis wants. What do you want Roman?"

What did he want? Had he thought about that recently? "I want, I want Patton's cooking, I want to watch Disney movies and sing along to all of them, and I want to sleep." He sighed, "But I also don't want to be an annoyance to all of you."

"You are not an annoyance. After Coffee, we will do just that. We will go home, we will watch Disney movies until we fall asleep, and we will ask Patton to make dinner. The original plan was to go out for dinner, but I am sure Virgil will be much more comfortable with this idea."