Chapter 11: Poor children

Chapter 11

Katniss P.O.V.

Julia comes out to the the waiting room. It has been a long birth, a lot of hours and a lot of tears.

We've been in and out of Glimmer's room the whole day, and then finally the doctors said that she was ready to push.

Everyone but Julia left the room. Glimmer had to have Julia there, her big sister.

"She's here", Julia says with a faint smile on her lips.

"Oh my god..." I whisper.

"Who's here mommy?" Riley asks from the chair beside me.

"Auntie Glimmer's and uncle Marvel's little baby is here now sweetheart", I tell her.

"But uncle Marvel isn't here, how can the baby be?" Becca asks.

They're so young. They don't understand this. They don't understand why Marvel isn't here. And they don't understand why their fathers aren't here. And why they're never going to be here.

Annie and I still hasn't told anyone that we're pregnant. We haven't found the right time to tell anyone, and now is not the right time either. I don't know when the right time will be.

"Baby auntie Glimmer had their baby in her belly, you remember her big big belly?" I ask and she nods. "That's where the baby was and uncle Marvel didn't have to be here".

"Didn't he want to?" Nathaniel asks looking up at Clove.

"He did want to very much baby, he just ... Couldn't", Clove answers, stroking Nathaniel's blonde hair.

Poor children. We don't know how to tell them their fathers won't ever come back home again. We don't know how to tell them that their fathers are ... Dead.

It's unbearable to even think. To think that Peeta won't ever come to hold me in his strong arms. That I won't ever be able to kiss his lips, hear him tell me comforting words. He won't ever come to the bakery and make cheese buns and cakes. He will never paint in his painting studio again. Never come walking towards me with the biggest smile as he looks at me. I will never watch him play with the girls again, see how he tucks them in at night, reading them stories, or teaching them how to paint. And Peeta will never see his unborn child. And our unborn child will never know its father.

I can't make any of this sound sane in my head. It's like this horrible nightmare that only goes on and on. Like I'm never gonna wake up, and the truth is, I'm not. This is reality, and you can't wake up from reality.

We walk with Julia into Glimmer's room. She's sitting up in her bed, hugging a punk bundle. She's crying so hard.

Madge runs up to her as fast as she can with her big belly and embrace her in a hug.

I lean against Gale trying to hold back my tears.

I know why Glimmer is crying. Everyone knows why she is crying. She's crying over the fact that her baby will never know her father.

"Glimmer", I say as I leave the girls beside Gale who are both now holding his hands.

"She's so much alike him", she cries. "The eyes, the hair, the face. Everything".

I look down at the baby who was born with a lot of hair on her head. And ... Yeah, Glimmer is right, she is so much alike Marvel.

"Glimmer I'm so sorry", I say, still holding back my tears.

"No Katniss, you've also lost someone", she says. "We're in the same boat".

Yah, she's right about that.

I look at Annie. She looks at me and shakes her head a bit.

We can't tell everyone we're pregnant now, like it would be a happy thing that makes everyone happy in a dark time like this. Because being pregnant now is not a happy thing. Neither one of mine and Annie's babies will ever know their fathers, so how is that a happy thing?

I nod at Annie and she looks down at Fisher, who's standing in front her, leaning against her legs.

I agree with Annie that we can't tell them now. Glimmer just had her baby and needs us more then ever. The only one who knows is Madge, and she promised not to say anything until Annie and I felt comfortable to tell.

I don't know what the future will look like, I only know one thing, and that the boys will not be in it. And that is crushing me. I don't know how I will go on in life even with my daughters and a baby on the way. Even with my friends, and the Mellark's, I don't know how to go on.

I can't go on without my Peeta. He's my best friend and my soulmate, how can I live without him? How can I go on in life without him?

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

✏️714 words✏️

Hey guys, short and crappy chapter, I know but I'm still in this bad mood and dark place so please don't be too disappointed.

Please vote and comment.

-Josephine xx