A Means of Protection

Fyodor sipped his tea as he sat across from Chuuya.

"The last time I was here in your office, I noticed your slippers were old." Fyodor said pulling out a pair of slippers for Chuuya. "How lovely."

"Thank you." Chuuya bowed in appreciation. "But I know you didn't come all the way to my office just to give me these."

"Always straight to the point aren't we Chuuya?" Fyodor chuckled. "Very well then. I'm here to give you one thing, but also take something from you."

"I have nothing to offer."

"I got you the Geumganggo. You know, it's a new model! Did you think that was for free?"

"Yeah, kinda! I thought you were just helping me."

"I did help you. And that is why I want something in return."

"What can I give you? Money?"

"Chuuya, sign a contract with Rats in the House of the Dead Entertainment," Fyodor sighed. "When I need, I will cast you, Chuuya... No, I will cast you, Sang." Fyodor said grabbing the paperwork for the contract. Fyodor sat it on the coffee table in front of Chuuya. "That is what I want."

Chuuya picked up the paper, scanning over the contract. "And if I refuse?"

"I'm sorry, but... you must return the Geumganggo then." Fyodor said, holding out his hand.

Chuuya's eyes widened. "You'd take it back?! Quite the bastard you are..."

"Yes, Yes, I'm a bastard. I get that a lot. But, think carefully would it better to sign those forms or give me back the Geumganggo and die a very painful death? Imagine blood pouring down your face like a waterfall and your guts gushing out. Your elbows will be scraped, kneecaps will pop out, and neck will be all twisted. All the bones including your back bone will be broken." Fyodor did an exaggerated example of all the areas that would be destroyed. "And your eyeballs could fall out too."

Chuuya busted out laughing at Fyodor.

"Oi! I'm being serious!"

"I won't sign. You do need me after all, doesn't Osamu having the Geumganggo on benefit you too?"

Fyodor narrowed his eyes.

"I'm right aren't I? Tell you what. Once I thoroughly read it over. I will think of your request, yes?"

*

"He didn't sign the contract!" Fyodor said painfully annoyed as he slammed his head onto his desk. "He has to sign it to stay alive! Either way, by using Osamu I can become a deity sooner and... What?" Fyodor looked closer at his computer screen. "Why are people searching my name online?"

Nikolai looked at his laptop. "Is your name trending on the internet?"

"Yes." Fyodor nodded. "Fyodor Dostoyevsky of Rats in the House of the Dead Entertainment. It's number one."

"Congratulations." He smiled.

"It's not the first time it's happened. Nothing new. Fyodor's photo. Fyodor's old photo." He read. "Huh? Old photo?" Fyodor clicked on the picture and his eyes widened, and his skin pale. The text under the photo said that the man pictured looked like Fyodor's twin.

"This picture was taken about a 100 years ago. Was this around the time it happened?"

Fyodor nodded. "Yeah... that was when it happened." Fyodor said sadly.

"Human's would never imagine that's really you in the photo."

"They wouldn't... but it is me."

Nikolai sighed. "I was too weak back then so I sometimes reverted to animal form. It was simpler. Such old memories." He smiled. "But I will take care of this, do not worry." Nikolai bowed before leaving.

Fyodor sighed. He pulled out a white and blue colored glass box. Fyodor opened the box and he pulled out photos. He looked through the old photos and he smiled at some of them. Fyodor looked at the last photo, it was of him in a suit standing next to a clock in the town. When Fyodor looked at this photo. He could remember this day vividly.

Flashback

A man ran through town square from the police. He was running as fast as he could while also trying to avoid people.

"Come here!" The police yelled. "Stop! Stop right there, you bitch!"

He kept running. Running for his life. He didn't want to be caught. He knew what they would do to him if he was.

"I said stop!" The man fired a warning shot into the air. Making civilians duck including the man himself as he kept running. Fyodor watched as the man was shot twice in the back in front of him. When the man was shot he froze, and the hat fell off of his head, revealing his ginger hair. Fyodor's eyes widened. The man fell to the ground, dead instantly from where he was shot. The policeman turned the man over, and he was lifeless. Fyodor could see his blue eyes devoid of life. Fyodor had tears running down his face as he looked at him, a man standing back in an alley watched as well, and he covered his mouth in shock. Also crying tears of pain. Fyodor looked up and him and the man in the shadows made eye contact.

End of Flashback

Fyodor walked down a long hallway, into a private room. Fyodor sat in a room that had a bunch of pictures hanging on a wall, he had a remote in his hand, and when he pressed a button, the wall slid back showing a painting. It was a painting of him, and the only person he had come to love the most. Fyodor had another thought.

Flashback, Edo Period 1867

A priest in a kimono was running as fast as he could from Samurai chasing him. It was a dead end. There was nowhere to go. He looked back and then at the end of the cliff. He'd rather die than be tortured. So he jumped to his death, he was fine accepting it.

End of Flashback

"I wonder... if the past will ever truly change. Fate has been cruel to you hasn't it?" Fyodor said crying.

*

Chuuya flips through the pages, thoroughly reading over the contract.

"I wonder. What should I do?" Chuuya says tapping his pen on the desk.

He remembered what Fyodor told him earlier that day.

"To put it simply, Sam Jang, you'll vanquish evil spirits, and I'll take credit for that and become a deity."

"I don't have that kind of power."

"You have the Geumganggo. You're able to control Dazai as you want. You have the greatest power of all."

Chuuya sighed frustratedly. "He planned this from the start. Well played I guess." He said slacking back in his office chair.

Oda knocked and he came in smiling. "Chuuya, it's six o'clock. I'm gonna head home so I can start helping your mother with dinner." Oda looked down. "He offered you a deal? You didn't take it did you."

"No, nothing is signed. I was reading it first. Wanted to understand the terms." Chuuya admitted.

"Bring it with you. I'll help you look over it. We can do so after dinner."

"Oh no no! It's okay! I was just gonna go-"

"I'm not taking no for an answer. Your mother is worried, and truthfully so am I. C'mon... we miss you, and your sisters do too. Come to dinner."

"...Won't I be imposing...?"

Oda smiled and he brushed Chuuya's hair back, kissing him softly on the forehead. Oda cupped his chin and he smiled. "Hey... look at me." Chuuya looked up at Oda. "You're our family... We love you. Don't ever think you're being a bother, okay?"

"...Okay."

"Good." Oda said rubbing his head, and tucking the loose ends of hair behind his ears. "Now come on, let's go." He smiled.

To Be Continued...