sweater weather

Jorge's POV:

I wake up on the couch. Looking around the room, I realize that I'm alone. Benji must've gone home.

I notice the pizza on the table. Had my mom come home already? I check the time on my phone, it's only six thirty. Benji must've made it for me.

He's so sweet.

My heart flutters in my chest as I type a text to him.

"Thank u for the pizza and everything. I miss you already :)" I type.

I get a response before I can even pick up a slice of pizza.

"Read the note on the counter and make sure your mom sees it." He texts.

Another bubble appears moments after. "And take another tylenol."

Geez. Bossy.

I pop another tylenol in my mouth, and wash it down with a glass of water. I scan the detailed note, explaining the situation. The corners of my mouth turn into a smile when I read that he's picking me up tomorrow.

"Okay ❤️" I send.

I continue to eat my pizza, and soon enough my mom comes through the door. She doesn't even look my way as she begins putting all of her stuff away.

"Hey mom."

"Hi, Jorge." She murmurs.

She grabs a few things and walks upstairs, never looking in my direction. She completely ignored Benji's note, and didn't even notice my cuts and bruises.

I reimagine the kicks and punches. All I wanted was a hug from her. Or an "I'm sorry".

It had been years since I heard an "I love you".

I hadn't even heard it from Benji, besides that one time he said it on accident in the guest room.

My heart sinks as I think about the times I've said "I love you" to Benji. I never got one back.

Am I just that unloveable?

I pick up my phone to see if Benji texted me back.

Read 6:12 pm

He left me on read. He didn't even send a heart back. I scroll up and realize his messages prior had been curt and to the point. No hearts or smiles or conversation. Just directions.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Benji's POV:

I pull up to Jorge's house and wait for him to get in the car. As he walks down his porch steps, I try not to watch his bouncing curls. He hops in the passenger side.

"Morning, Benji." He seems a little down.

I want to ask what's wrong, but I hold back.

"Hey Jorge."

He smiles weakly in my direction, his face so painfully bruised. I want to kiss each brui-

No you don't.

We can't be together. It would never work.

"Listen, Jorge, I need to talk to you about something."

He turns in my direction, meeting my gaze softly. The words I want to stay cling to the back of my throat. How am I going to do this?

"I- I think we need to stop seeing each other." I stutter.

His face drops and his eyes go wide. "Wh- Wha-"