home

Benji's POV:

"Breakfast is ready!"

My eyes flutter open at the sudden noise. Turning my head to the side, I realize that I'm in my living room. A soft light filters in through the window, illuminating the space with a gentle, yellow haze.

I glance down at Jey, who is now, quite literally, sleeping on top of me. His head is settled comfortably on my chest, my chin tickled by his delicate curls. His arms are wound loosely around my torso and one of his legs lies strewn across my lap.

With the tip of my finger, I lightly trace a line up the length of his arm. He shudders in response, his eyes starting to open.

My breath is caught in my chest. Every bone in my body prays that he won't panic.

Please don't go. Please don't go. Please don't go.

His light brown hues widen in fear as soon as he realizes our close proximity.

"It's okay, Jey. Everything is okay. You're going to be okay." My voice is hardly a whisper as I try to comfort the small boy.

His eyes become glassy, but he does not push himself away from me. I nearly sigh in relief.

Progress.

"Let's go eat." I suggest, although I really don't want to let go of Jey.

He peels himself off of me. "I'm going back to sleep. Eat without me."

"You're eating lunch." I warn him, sternly.

Halfway to the dining room, I'm hit with a sudden realization.

It was my mom that called us to breakfast.

Which means-

She saw us on the couch.

My heart plummets into my gut. This can't be happening. I can't believe I let us fall asleep in such vulnerable position. She just saw me and my supposed best friend cuddling.

I might throw up.

Gathering every ounce of bravery in my heart, I walk into the dining room. Wordlessly, I pull a chair out from the table. I can't even look at my mom as I sit there, pathetically twiddling my thumbs.

"You two looked awfully comfortable." My mom laughs, carrying a stack of pancakes over to the table.

Normally the aroma of syrup and delicious, fluffy pancakes on a Sunday morning would have me drooling with hunger. But when I look over at the plate, the idea of eating breakfast seems unthinkable.

I scratch the back of my neck and attempt to laugh. It comes out strangled and forced.

"So. Is Jey your- You know-" Instantly I know what she's suggesting. Boyfriend.

Without thinking, I burst out. "No!"

A painful guilt washes over me.
Surely Jey must be overhearing this conversation. He always hated when I denied my feelings for him.

Those days are supposed to be over.

"Shit." My head collapses into my hands. This is not how I wanted her to to find out.

"Language." She scolds, taking a seat at the table.

An awkward silence fills the air as the unspoken tension between the two of us grows.