brash and bashful

Benji's POV:

I'm tired of hiding my feelings for Jey.

So tired.

"What the fuck is this?" Kyler motions towards us.

I see Jorge's face flash with nervousness. I squeeze his hand reassuringly. My eyes tell him that it's going to be okay.

"Can't even play a little football without running into some fags." Chase mutters.

The words sting. They used to be some of my closest friends. But they could never compare to the small, curly haired boy lying against me. Not in a million years.

"What do you want? You already hurt him. Just go." I growl.

I don't want to fight them in front of Jey. It's a side of myself I don't like.

"Oh, I don't know-" Chase begins, before he's cut off by Kyler.

"How would you feel if we told the administrators that we found you skipping?" Kyler hisses.

"They'd know you were skipping too." I reply quickly.

Jey's grip on my hand is the only thing that's making me keep my composure.

"It's not skipping if we're practicing." Chase interjects, waving the football in his hand.

"Coach would lose it if he found out you were skipping to cuddle your boyfriend." Kyler adds. "He'd forget all about us tossing the ball around."

Boyfriend. The beautiful word, so shiny and new, used to make my heart soar. But coming out of his mouth- it sounds like an insult. A dirty thing to have.

I don't respond to them. I try to focus my gaze on Jey Jey. He reads the pain in my eyes and shoots up out of my grasp.

"Jorge-" I start.

"Get out. Just get out." Jorge snaps, "Leave Benji alone." He shoves Chase's chest.

Chase and Kyler share a laugh, looking down at the smaller boy.

Chase winds up to throw a punch at Jey, but I'm already on my feet. I pull him away from the swing, Chase's knuckles hardly grazing his skin.

"Oh, hop off it, Benji. He can't fight for himself?" Kyler taunts.

"He can- But I won't let him." I stand in front of Jey, protectively.

Kyler and Chase clearly don't want to start a fight with me. Growing bored, they back out of the situation.

When I turn around to face Jorge, I'm surprised to see his eyes brimming with tears.

I draw him into my arms. He heaves for shaky breaths and emits soft sobs. I recognize this- It's a panic attack.

"You were so brave." I whisper to him, keeping him encased in my arms.

He's a shaking mess. Gently, I run my fingers through his hair. Slowly but surely, his breathing begins to even out. He looks up at me, gratefully, and I stare at his lips. I want to kiss him, but that's not what he needs right now. Instead, I wipe a tear from his face and nuzzle his cheek.

"Why do they have to be like that?" His voice is barely a whisper, and his words are mumbled.

"I don't know. I wish they weren't." I intertwine our fingers.

"I love you, Benji." He looks at me with soft eyes, vulnerably.

I hesitate. My breath hitches as my face flushes.

"I- I love you too, Jey."

Jorge's POV:

As we drive home from the park my heart feels as if it's going to explode.

Somebody loves me.

I can't stop thinking about it. Those words- I haven't heard them in so long.

"Benji?" His name slips out from my mouth without my permission.

He glances away from the road to look at me. "Jorge?" He replies, smiling.

"I- Um, thank you." I manage, looking down at my lap.

He cocks his head to side, clearly not understanding what I'm trying to say

My face turns an embarrassing shade of bright red. What am I talking about?

"For saying it back." I mumble.

Realization crosses his features and my words register with him.

"Oh- I- I would have said it earlier but-"

"No, I'm glad you waited until you were comfortable." I cut him off, "It's just- I never hear it from my mom or anything. It- It felt nice." My voice dropped off so quietly by the end of my sentence, it was hardly a whisper.

"I promise I meant it." Benji smiles.

I smile back.

Light shines in through the car windows, and I feel so happy. Like I don't have anything in the world to worry about anymore. Bad things happen- People are homophobic. Parents aren't perfect. Boyfriends are clueless.

But it's alright.

As long as I've got Benji.

He turns up the song on the radio, and we both start to sing. Very badly, I might add. But I know I can be myself right here, right now. I don't worry about my accent. Or my shyness. Or any of my insecurities, really. Eventually we arrive at the school parking lot.

"What are we doing here?" I ask, glancing at the nearly empty parking lot.

"You need to pick up your car. I can't be your chauffeur forever, you know." Benji teases.

I don't want to leave Benji's car, but I know I need to go home and rest.

"Bye Benji." I look away, bashfully.

"Bye Jorge." He smiles sweetly, fluttering his long lashes.

I hop out of his car and get into mine. As soon he drives away, I bury my head in my steering wheel, thinking about it what just happened. I let out a noise that somewhat resembles a squeak. Benji was something out of a dream. My whole life, I had never thought I'd find a something like this. He makes my stomach twist with lovesickness, yet makes me feel more secure than ever.

But, most of all-

He loves me.

The whole drive home, my heart feels light. I don't even worry about what I'm going to come home to, like I usually do. I just want to go to sleep, so that I can wake up in the morning and see Benji again.

My heart skips at the idea of being back in his arms.

[Hey guys- I made a new cover for the story, let me know what you guys think about it! I might change it back depending on how you guys feel. Hope you liked this chapterrr.]