wildflowers

Benji's POV:

We spend a while at the ice skating rink. I try really hard to help Jey Jey keep his balance, but his shaky legs never quite get the hang of it. Honestly though, I don't really mind.

I like it when he clings to me.

Eventually, though, both of our legs start to tire. I unlace my skates, and out of the corner of my eye I notice Jey struggling with his again. I start to laugh.

"Stop, oh my god. It's not funny." He whines, tugging on the ice skate.

"I think it's funny." I hold back my laughter.

"Shut up and help me." He crosses his  arms indignantly.

I take off his skates for him, and we return to my car.

"We should really be getting to school." I admit, glancing at the clock.

"Do we have to?" He complains.

"I mean... I guess not." We share a smile.

"We should have a picnic!" Jey Jey suggests.

"That sounds great." I lean back in my seat, "I'm starved."

We pull over at a gas station and pick out snacks.

"I'm paying this time." Jorge gets up in my face.

"Fine." I throw my hands up.

After Jey pays, we carry our bags of groceries back to the car.

"Can I drive? I have a special place I want to show you." Jorge asks.

"Sure." I chuck the keys in his direction.

Jorge's POV:

I know just where I want to take Benji.

It's sort of been my safe place since I moved here over the summer. My parents got in a big fight when we first moved here, screaming and throwing things. My dad hasn't been home since.

But I remember- The night it all went down, I went for a walk to get some air. I found a big hill with a beautiful view of the city. This place brought me comfort when my life was at its hardest.

I pull over by the foot of the hill.

"What is this place?" Benji asks, looking at the scenery.

"It's where I go when my parents fight." I admit, grabbing a few bags to carry up the hill.

He looks down at me and places a gentle kiss on my head, before grabbing the rest of the bags. I lead the way up the hill. It's flat at the highest point, and covered in wildflowers.

I set the bags down under my favorite tree, and Benji joins me. We lean against the rough bark and dig into our food.

"What's your family like?" I ask Benji, crunching on some pretzels.

"Well, they're Catholic, like I mentioned before." He sighs sadly, "I have two brothers, Thomas and Rowy."

"And none of them know...?" I begin.

He shakes his head. "You're the first boy I've ever been with."

"You're my first boyfriend, too." I find comfort in the fact that we're both new to this.

"What's your family like?" Benji asks, scooting closer to me.

I rest my head against his shoulder. "Messy." I murmur.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He rests his head on top of mine.

"I- I don't know. It's hard."

"Your dad's not really on a business trip, is he?" Benji gives me a knowing look.

I shake my head.

Benji wraps his arms around me, pulling me into his lap. I feel safe against him. We're quiet for a while, enjoying the city view. He moves to put his chin on my shoulder.

"Jorge, has anyone ever told you that you're beautiful?" His words send a shiver down my spine.

"N- No. Not really." I feel my face heating up.

"You are. The first time I saw you, I couldn't stop staring." He chuckles, "I was so confused, because I had always thought I was totally straight."

"I thought you were only staring at me because I was weird." I look down sheepishly.

"Plot twist." Benji whispers in my ear.

I turn to face him, and he pecks my nose.

"Disgusting." I scrunch up my face in mock distaste.

"I know you like it." His smile makes my stomach flip.

I start to tickle him all over, which sends him rolling away from the tree. We tumble around the grass, our tickle fight turning into an MMA match. Eventually Benji shoves me down, pinning my wrists above my head. He grins at me, his hair flopping over.

"We should try this position sometime." I joke.

"Jorge, we're in public!" He laughs.

I heave him off of me and crawl back over to our picnic.

The bad memories I had once associated this place with are starting to fade. All I'm able to feel is happiness as I relive that moment over and over again in my head, tussling with Benji. It's a little bittersweet, realizing how much I'll miss this moment, right now, as I'm living it.

I curl up next to him underneath the tree, and we just enjoy each other's touch. My heart thumps every time I think about the fact that Benji is my boyfriend. I know he's hesitant to say "I love you", but the title makes up for that. He'll come around eventually.

I let my eyes shut for a while, breathing in the smell of flowers and Benji. They compliment each other well. My eyelids start to feel heavy, so I blink open my eyes.

I'm taken aback by what I see. Kyler and Chase tossing a football. They haven't noticed us yet.

"Benji-" I begin, starting to get up.

Benji holds me down. "Stay here Jey. I'm not hiding us anymore.

I writhe around underneath his grip. "I'm scared Benji. They just kicked my ass!"

"I taught them a lesson. They're not going near you again."

I quit squirming and relax.

"What did you do?"

"Don't worry about it." He smiles, letting go of me.

I try to hide my face in his sweatshirt.

"It's okay Jey. They haven't even noticed us yet." Benji jinxes us.

Chase points in our direction.

"Just stay still." Benji commands.

I'm too scared to do any different.