closure & chicken noodle soup

Benji's POV:

Wednesday. The awkward middle child of the weekday, I had always found it to be more of a struggle than anything else.

But this Wednesday feels different. I wake up tangled in my sheets, as one does on a typical Wednesday morning. However, instead of feeling an air of dread toward the idea of pushing through yet another day of school, my heart is alive with excitement and love.

Jorge and I really can't afford to miss any more school, so we're not going on another ice skating adventure. But, I think that's alright. The idea of seeing his cute little face makes a mundane thing, such as school, feel like a big event.

And, as you would at any big event, I need to look my best. Sifting through my closet, all of my options seem... underwhelming, to say the least.

Soon enough, my outfit is put together and my hair is fluffed up just right. A boost of confidence ignites my step as I prance out the door.

I left the house a little bit early this morning so that I can talk to Jey before class. However, my plans are foiled and my bright mood is instantly dimmed when I get a disappointing text from Jey.

feeling sick. i'm going to stay home. ❤️

He's going to have so much make up work. I wait to respond until I pull into the school parking lot. Fingers moving gracefully across the keyboard, I come up with a thoughtful message for my poor boy.

omg no i'm going to miss u! i'll pick up ur make up work for u.

I press send and hop out of the car. My cheerful step is a little dampened, knowing that I won't get to see Jey at school.

I'm so lost in my own head as I make my way through the near empty corridors, that I walk straight into someone. Their books spill out onto the floor, and I quickly drop down to the ground to help them. Holding a few textbooks in my arms, I lift my head. Our faces mere inches apart, I'd recognize those sparkling green hues anywhere.

I drop the books out of my hands, shuffling backwards on the floor.

"A- Addy-"

She looks down and begins gathering the textbooks again, her lips pursed in a tight line.

"I- I'm so sorry. I didn't see you. A- And I just- I didn't expe-"

"It's fine, Benji." She replies, my name rolling off of her tongue like venom.

I'm struck with the same guilt that I've been trying to push away since last Friday. I need to tell her everything.

Addy was one of my closest friends, and I ruined that. She might not ever forgive me- and I don't expect forgiveness. But I need to try to make things right.

However, as Addy stands up and brushes off her legs, I feel my opportunity begin to slip away.

"Wait! Addy, can I talk to you- about last Friday?" I plead, getting on my feet.

She hesitates, her eyes carefully reading my expression.

"No Benji, I-" She shakes her head, and turns her heel.

"I never wanted to hurt you, Addy."

Addy freezes in her tracks, whipping around to face me. Her face twists in an emotional, pained kind of way.

"How can you cheat on someone and not mean to hurt them?" She spits.

Her words cut deep, but I know she's right.

"I- I was so confused Addy. When Jorge came- He made me feel something I had never felt before. I didn't know how to feel or how to respond- I thought I could force myself to be straight-"