43

Arizona has removed her fluffed jacket and its lain across a rock in the room. Suddenly, Elijah jerks away and Elena rushes over. Arizona is frozen in shock. Elijah noticed Elena and he's shocked.

"Elijah," Elena says urgently.

"Katerina!"

"Elijah, it's me, it's Elena!" Elena says with the same amount of urgency as before.

"Oh, my god." His eyes close amd Arizona steps closer but suddenly, Elijah's body spasms he gets up and he's gasping for air as he looks at Arizona. "I can't... I can't breath! What's happening to me?" He rushes toward the door but ends up slamming into the doorway.

Arizona rushes over and she grabs on to him, holding Elijah up. "You're not invited in."

Elijah looks at her, pained. "Then get me out of here." He slams into another wall before disappearing.

Elena and Arizona rush upstairs and they find Elijah on the porch, he's crouched down. He gets up when he smells them and he flashes forward but is stopped at the threshold.

He looks at Arizona. "What happened?"

"Shh..." Arizona motions that the boys can hear.

"I'll tell you," Elena whispers. "Not here. Can I trust you?"

"Can I trust you?" Elijah asks, also in a whisper.

Arizona rises her skirt and shows him the dagger as she steps outside. Elijah meets her eyes as he reaches down, and he grabs the dagger. He reaches up and he gently touches her face, but he stays quiet as Elena watches with a smile.

"You don't hate me, do you?" Arizona asks. "It was my..."

"It may have been your dagger, darling, but it was not your hand that jabbed it into my heart," Elijah says as he narrows his eyes at Elena. "I could never hate you, Arizona."

Arizona just smiles and they all go to Elena's car.
~~§~~

Elena drives for a while before she parks on the side of the road. Elijah is drinking from a blood bag in the passenger's seat. Arizona offered him her blood but he was quick to decline. He wouldn't dream of possibly hurting her.

"You look better," Elena says.

"When did you take Arizona's dagger?" Elijah asks.

"I'll tell you everything," Elena says. "But we have to work together, Elijah. I need your word."

"Your ability to make demands has long passed," Elijah tells the doppelgänger.

"No demands," Elena assures him. "I'm offering my help. And in return, I want yours. We want yours."

Elijah looks back at Arizona and he returns his gaze to Elena. "And why should I even consider this?"

"The same reason you haven't killed me," Elena replies. "You need my help to kill Klaus, and I ... we need you."  Her phone rings and she answers. "Yes, I'm fine... He's right here... so is Arizona, So Damon doesn't have to worry.... No, Stefan, Elijah and I need some alone time and he wanted Ari around... Elijah is a noble man, Stefan. He lives by a code of honor, I can trust him especially since Arizona does. He knows that I'd be incredibly stupid to betray him again." Elijah is watching her carefully. "By removing the dagger, I have proven myself." After a moment she hands up.

Elijah holds his hand out, and Elena looks at it before handing her phone over. Elijah drops it into his jacket pocket. He glances back at Arizona again and he offers her a smile, and she accepts and returns the smile. Elijah then turns around.

"He's here," Elena says.

"Klaus is here?" Elijah inquires toward the doppelgänger.

"He's taken over Alaric's body," Elena states.

"Of course he has," Elijah says. "That's one of his favorite tricks."

"Well, What are his other tricks?" Elena asks. "What is he going to do next? You're the only one who knows him.

"Yes, I do," Elijah replies.