15.

27 May 2015

My dearest K.,

This is the calm before the storm... I feel the quietness of these days will soon blow away... maybe my end is near, but why do I feel so disturbingly hopeful...as if my life is about to take a different path instead of ending...as if something is bound to happen, but it won't be what I think. I know you have felt this too because you haven't written in a few days. Your mum told me you would be going on a mission these days, so I guess that's why you couldn't write. Anyway, through all this painful quietness, I have been thinking about the question that I didn't answer last time: "If you had the attention of the whole world for 30 seconds, what would you say?"

I won't lie... I have imagined myself lots of times in a conference... a conference where all the ordinary people of this world are invited...no celebrities, no politicians, no VIPs...just me and all of the army that we get to call "The Ordinary". But this time I won't be listening...I will talk...talk aloud about what I have always thought and turned around in my head. And this time I didn't have a bunch of things that I wanted to say... Surprisingly, all my thoughts concentrated on one thought only... on the thought I have been wondering about for years: "Everybody is a hero...maybe in their own story, maybe in their friend's story, maybe for only a day. Somebody is in pain today. They are hurt but you never knew that. Be kind. Be compassionate. Be loving. Smile and hug. Be quick to listen, not to judge. You could be the one to change it all around for them today. You could be the hero without even knowing."

And it's true. Everything I will say is true. There are millions of heroes out there we don't even know. If Mandela was lucky enough to be known by everyone for what he did (not a thing against him by the way), a captain out there, who was ordered to throw a rocket and start World War III, lost his job and didn't throw it for the sake of the humankind. Do we know him? Of course not. And not to start with the people of "The Ordinary" army...they are a hero every day of their life and never gain enough gratitude for what they do. Honestly, shout out to people with anxiety and panic disorders. They don't get enough recognition for their hard work. Pushing through your body's instinct to fight and freeze at the slightest worry is a whole new level of strength. They are battling everyday against an animalistic response, a response that is designed to take full control of your actions. That takes so much courage and perseverance. They are strong as fuck and nobody can say anything against that.

Seriously, just open your eyes and see... there are millions of heroes in our "considered to be small" world that we have never heard of and probably will never hear... And even if you can't find them all, just be kind and compassionate... maybe one of those people you behaved kindly today will be your hero another day.

Forever yours,

D.