Epilogue

29 December 2015

To enter the cemetery, she skirted around a pile of brown frosted leaves, the innumerable flashing fragments shine in the brilliant wintry light, for today there is no weather; no wind, no cloud, just subzero temperatures. Even the leaf stems lie white and sharp. Ahead the path glistens like white quartz, yet ice crystals on weary concrete are all it is. Each marble tombstone, rising from the manicured grass, was perfect... polished and lined up perfectly with those in front and behind. Each one exactly like the previous one, except the name it bore. All this beauty over a city block for the dead.

D. moved across the cold earth on tiptoes with her heart accelerates as her scarf beat against each passing stone and her pale face remained rigid until she burst into the other side of the street, sucking in air as she had never breathed before. She let her feet tread lightly over the soils that support new spring growth, white-bells and green wands of grass, until she was there, her eyes resting on his name, her heart hearing the sound of his voice as if he were right there with me. Perhaps it is the memories that are the real bridge, that sense of love a key to open doors into the worlds beyond, yet here she was in the graveyard, these moments of reflection their everlasting bond.

She paused, her breath rising in visible puffs, then she remembered why she came. She needed to talk to him and this was the only way. The proximity to his frigid bones and the gift of flowers will close the gap between them for a moment, and in that brief window of time, she would feel his love again.

Hoping for her vocal cords to work properly, she started whispering something over that tombstone.

"Darling... I came here...near your inhibited house. It's just a matter of hours or... days in the best case until I come to the other world with you... and then it will be just me and you forever. You had once asked me "What if the sun dies every night just to let the moon breathe?" It seemed pretty convenient to me that time... but sweetheart... how can the moon live at night when she knows that the sun has to die? How can the moon shine when she is cursed to stay always separated from her loved one?

Everyone here says that time heals every wound, but... this is not the wound that is willing to be healed. The pain of accepting your forever loss is that kind of spoiled wound that doesn't stop until it takes what it wants. And that wound is telling me that this illness is the perfect ticket for me to catch the train that comes in your world. I am at the train station... waiting for the train to arrive."

She cleared her throat and blinked away the tears.

"I am leaving the letters I have been writing since... you... passed away. I thought you would need a little company until I am finally there. Try not to read all of them in an hour like the impatient person you are."

She sniffed and rubbed her eyes with her free hand as she covered the stack of letters with the soil over K's tomb.

"Maybe that's how we know to love... willing to break ourselves in pieces in order to make the other person whole... but my dearest K. you should have known I would never be complete without you by my side. Don't worry anyway... I am being broken too so that we could become a whole. I will be joining you ... very soon."