2. Runs With Wolves

Bella tore through the woods, patrolling all of Forks with Jacob.

Bet I could beat you! She told Jacob through the mind link.

Not a chance! Jacob put on a burst of speed, his russet wolf shooting ahead of Bella's white winter wolf. Bella differed from the other wolves in the pack. She was larger than all of them except for Sam and Jacob. She was snow white, like Leah, but instead of the frost blue eyes Leah had, Bella's were a deep gold that none of the other wolves had.

You underestimate me, young Skywalker, Bella laughed, running nimbly between the trees and weaving her way past Jacob. Jacob was more muscle than Bella, and that served him well, except for in a contest of speed. Jake, I am your father, she thought, laughing all the while. A deep commanding laugh echoed across the link, and Bella knew Sam had just shifted.

Jacob, you should know better. Sam's deep voice chided Jake. Finish your patrol, and then come back. Sam's voice echoed with the command of the alpha. Neither Bella nor Jacob would disobey him, but now they couldn't, even if they wanted to.

Bella continued speeding, shooting for the border on the far side of Forks. A strange scent filled her nostrils, burning them. Bella skidded to a stop, and Jacob slammed into her. They rolled several yards. Bella, what the fuck!

What is that? Bella asked, wrinkling her nose.

Jacob skimmed Bella's consciousness, then took a breath. Vampires!

Sam shouted in their collective mind. Freeze! We'll be there soon.

Bella and Jacob remained stock still, unable to do anything. They could see the minds of the pack, knowing they were running at breakneck speed. They flanked Jacob and Bella. Jacob took his Beta position at Sam's side, and Bella fell back into the pack. Sam sniffed the area, the burning in his nose leading him to the edge of Forks. His determination was clear in Bella's mind. The burning in her nose was amplified by the minds of those around her. Sam sniffed the ground, his hackles raising. Stay close, he growled.

They followed the path of the stink. A general flow of anxiety rippled through the pack. Sam broke a clearing, followed by the pack. He looked ahead of him, and they all saw what Sam did. Shit, fall back. Everyone but Sam backed away, refusing to break the trees. They watched through Sam's eyes as Edward and Carlisle stepped from the mansion's porch.

"Yes, we are back," Edward called. A snarl escaped from Bella. Edward locked eyes with her. He looked confused.

Carlisle came slowly to the edge of the woods. Esme and Alice stood back, watching. "I imagine," Carlisle said, "That our treaty will remain in place?"

Sam snarled, a small growl in his chest. I suppose so.

"He says 'yes,'" Edward translated.

"Any chance we could speak face to face?" Carlisle asked calmly.

A roar ripped from Jacob. Don't do it! These bloodsuckers don't deserve our attention.

Jacob, stop. The growl died mid-breath. Jacob, Seth, follow. Sam backed into the trees, turning back into himself. Jacob and Seth followed his lead, rolling their shoulders as they slipped their jean shorts on. Bella, Quil, and Embry remained in the woods, hackles raised.

Sam stepped out first, Seth and Jacob flanking him on either side. "The only reason I am speaking with you is to renegotiate terms of the treaty."

"Which terms?" Carlisle asked calmly.

Bella sniffed, wondering why the vampires smelled so bad. "We would like to request the school be neutral ground."

"The school?" Carlisle's eyebrows shot up. "Whatever for?"