Prologue

When 8 year-old Sarah looks at a 9 year-old Anthony across the picnic table her pale cheeks couldn't help but start to heat up. Even as an 8 year-old, she thought that he was always pretty cute. There is no way she was letting him get near her... he is a boy with cooties.

Boys are gross, and need to stay away from her. 'YUCK' she thought looking over at him.

Anthony turned his head from watching his mom spoon feed his baby sister, Layla, to see the girl from across the table that had her eyes on him. He thought she was really pretty and had the most beautiful sparkling and exuberant blue eyes that he has ever seen. There is no way he would say that to her though, he would like to save the embarrassment of ever telling her something like that.

For a 9 year-old boy such as himself, all of the girls that ever came into contact with him... or just that he knew were plain nasty and gross and better stay far away from him. That is... except his mother.

Sarah's head snapped down when he turned to look at her. Her little cheeks were blushing more and more with the embarrassment of him catching her glare at him. He caught her staring! Goodness, he must think she is such a loser now.

"Why don't you guys go play?" Sarah's mother, Mary, suggested when she noticed both of them looking extremely bored waiting for the food to arrive on the table in front of them.

The two families became friends when the Anthony's moved in just three days ago. Sarah's family thought it would be nice to have some sort of picnic in their humongous backyard and just sit down and get to know everyone. Just be the friendly neighbors that they always have been.

Sarah shrugged, "I'm okay, Mommy," she said, not wanting to play with the boy who made her feel extremely warm and alive with his presence near her. She twirled her brown hair on her index finger looking back down and away avoiding any eye contact from anyone.

Sarah's father, John, patted her on the back, "Come on, Sarah, be friendly. I know you are shy, but this will be a great way for you and Anthony to become the best of friends." he said chuckling.

Sarah felt like her cheeks were on fire because of the comment her daddy made and she quickly shook her head. "NO." she stubbornly said and got up and ran over to the swing set her daddy had once built for her when she was 5. She got on the swing and just sat there, letting her feet dangle below, looking down at the grass with a stern look on her face. She thinks, 'I am going to get my way'.

Anthony watched this stubborn annoying little girl, Sarah, just sitting there on the swing staring at the ground. He felt a little hurt that she didn't want to play with him because he was good to get along with. Sure, girls are gross and have cooties, but he thought it would be nice to have a friend, at least until school starts that is. He didn't want to be known as the boy who was friends with a second grader that was also a girl, that is LAME!

But Anthony had the urge to get up and confront the little girl. He felt his father, Joe's, eyes on his back in confusion as he watched Anthony stride over to the little girl on the swing.

Anthony looked down at the girl and furrowed his eyebrows together, "You don't want to play?" he asked her. Sarah's head snapped up to look at the little boy.

"Huh?" she questioned, a little confused and dazed. "No, you are a boy!" she said, sticking her tongue out at him. "You are gross and nasty, get away from me."

Anthony pursed his lips down at the stubborn girl and snorted, "Well, you are a girl! But..." he said, walking behind her and started pushing her back, making her actually swing on the swing set, "I still want to play, so deal."

Sarah breathed out her nose angrily, mad that the boy decided not to listen to her, but she let Anthony swing her until she was so high up, she squealed. "Okay!! No more! Make it stop!" she yelled. She has and will always be afraid of heights.