Chapter 9: Safe Call

Riley's P.O.V.

A few minutes later me and Ryland were laying down in my bed, Ryland decided to sleep in here with me, like we normally did when he came over. Gage on the other hand wanted to sleep in the living instead of in my room with me and Ryland, I still didn't understand it as there was plenty of blankets, pillows and room on my bed but I guess he just wanted to sleep alone.

We'd have to wake up as soon as we fell asleep, but at the same time I didn't want to go to school. I had so many things to worry about, and with the Book of Shadows in my possession, I had a lot of dark energy surrounding me.

I had to remember what Gage said to me, to not let the darkness and the power get to me... I'd hate to hurt the ones I loved when I was only using the book to try and save them.... again... I winced at that last part.

" Hey Riley...?"

" Yeah Ryland?" I responded calmly but deep inside I was shaking mess.

He looked down and I could tell he was stressing out. I got closer to him and placed my hand on his shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"I...-I Riley...I need to tell you how I feel... and I know it seems selfish after everything... I couldn't imagine trying to save us, and keep us safe but... I'm in with love you...."

A single tear fell from his right eye, followed by multiple tears, and soon tears were just streaming down my face as well.

" I love you Riley... and I don't want anything bad to happen to you... I don't know what we are, but I'll always be here for you... even if you choose me over Gage... I'll still be here for you Riley..."

I-I..... I was speechless.

Part of me felt bad, I loved Ryland and he'd be an obvious choice but I couldn't deal with this right now.

As much as I loved Ryland, I couldn't tell him I loved him back... just just not yet.

I let out a huff and bit my lip, looking down at the ground.

This isn't right... this isn't fair a-atleast to him. I didn't want to fall in love with my best friend, whiling also having feelings for Gage.
It wasn't right.

I let out another huff and grabbed Ryland's hand tight but lightly, and made him look at me in my eyes.

" I don't know what we are... but Ryland I... I really like you... but I... I know it seems selfish of me to say to this but.... I have too much going on for a relationship right now.... but Ryland I really do like you okay...?"

I felt the tears build up in my eyes.
Ryland nodded but spoke up again," Riley... just for tonight... can you be mine?"

I blushed and looked back at him.
" I-I... umm..y-yeah.. yeah!"

Ryland smiled, he shifted upwards so that he was laying criss crossed on my bed.
Slowly Ryland crept over me, and got ever so close...
I could feel his nose on mine, and then suddenly a kiss.

It was soft and gentle, and through the kiss I could feel how much Ryland really cared for me.

He parted and a soft smile spread across our faces but something was off, as the smiles were both wiped off our faces.

" HeheHeheHe"

I instantly felt sacred but recognized what it was.

" The Book of Shadows!"
I quickly pushed off of Ryland and began looking for where I placed it last.

Picking it up, I immediately felt it's power wrap around me.