Ch 4

Weeks went by and my life fell into a normal routine

Weeks went by and my life fell into a normal routine. I had decided to sell the small condo I had once called home. It no longer held things I wished to think about. Instead it held ghosts that bellowed through the night reminding me that life has very little intention of being kind to me. My life was now split between Johns house and Pollys. Of course the split was more 80/20 because John wanted me with him every chance he could. I loved him for that. I knew most people would look at what we had and find it suffocating, but for me it had only ever been comforting. John was the light in my darkness. Something no one would ever guess a Shelby boy could be.

The morning was filled with pathetic arguments about me working at the Garrison. John was quite against it. He applauded me for giving Harry the hand but his blood boiled at the men who were now oggiling me more freely. When I commented that they did that despite me being behind the bar  John jumped out of his seat and began to rage. Not towards me, but towards the fact that these stupid men thought the minute he walked away from me they had a fighting chance. Of course they didn't and I told him that repeatedly, but still now John had himself perched in front of me every night like a guard dog.

"Harry you need a new barmaid before John scares away all the bloody customers," I groaned as I cleaned the bar top before opening. "I swore he growled at one poor fellow yesterday."

"I put an add in the paper. I think they're all too scared to work here. Do ya blame em? If you weren't in the position you were would you dare step foot in a place like this?" Harry questioned taking the rag from me and crossing his arms. The door dinged a beautiful blonde women walked in. Her eyes danced around the Garrison as she took in the surroundings. I was almost positive the smell of stale cigarettes and alcohol made her stomach churn from the way her nose crinkled. "What can I help ya with mam are ya lost?"

"I'm here to apply for the job," she spoke in a thick Irish accent. "Is it still available."

"No." "Yes." Harry and I said at the same time causing the women to look rather confused.

"Sorry but you're far too pretty for this place. The men will eat you alive here. Do you not know this places reputation?" Harry looked her over shaking his head.

"I won't take no for an answer. Reputation or not. You need a barmaid and I need a job I have references," she stated.

"Harry give the girl a chance!" I encouraged clapping my hand over the man's shoulder.

"I could sing to them," the girl added a smile stretching over her face.

"There hasn't been singing here since before the war, and it's going to stay that way," I snapped quickly recognizing my outburst and pushing my rage back down. "I'm sorry but the men who come here don't welcome singing like they used to. You can have a chance at the job on the condition you keep that pretty singing voice of yours to yourself. We have a deal?" I stuck my hand out for her to shake the minute Harry nodded that he was going to take my advice and hire her.

"Grace Burgess, thank you for the opportunity I won't disappoint." She smiled shaking my hand. I hoped she was right on that. I didn't want to go back behind that bar I preferred not bandaging up my boyfriend every night from stupid jealousy induced bar fights.

"Noel Halliwell, I'll be seeing you around Grace."