Ch 10

"You've been avoiding me," the words dance through me ever so delicately

"You've been avoiding me," the words dance through me ever so delicately. They aren't coated in anger but instead coated with concern as if he fears it is his fault that I have been in hiding this last week. "I did as told. Stayed away. Checked in with Pol to make sure you were drinking and eating, but you being here in that bloody dress you're killing me Noel. Why are you avoiding me hmm? What I do let me fix it."

"He told me it was going to be you marrying the lee girl. Told me it had to be that way to keep everyone safe." I jumped on John making him tumbled to the ground as I kissed every inch of his face. The tears that were now ruining my makeup were tears of pure joy. "If I hadn't stayed away I would have tried to stop it." I kissed him again my heart pounding in my chest. Tommy didn't go through with it. Tommy changed his mind. Tommy fucking Shelby changed his mind.

"Tommy said I really need to hurry up and put a ring on your finger." John said as he helped me up he pulled me close to him so he could wipe the tears off my face. "I told him I plan to just waiting on the right time. Someone else's wedding isn't the right time. Maybe tomorrow though."

"Excuse me," I go to pull away from him but he keeps me snug in his arms.

"I said maybe I'll ask you to marry me tomorrow."

For two people who had just had a marriage sprung on them Arthur and Esme seemed very happy. The eldest Shelby brother was spinning his new wife around with ease as the other wedding guests danced less gracefully around them. When I woke up this morning I was prepared to have the worst day of my life. I was prepared to watch the man I loved ripped away from me for reasons out of my control. To say Tommy had surprised me with the outcome of today was a surprise.

"Can I cut in?" Tommy asked switching spots with John who nodded and went off to find a very drunk and very pregnant Ada.

"I accept the apology you're not about to give," I stated. "What made you change your mind?"

"I asked John about his future and he told me how the only future he saw contained you because you kept him sane when we returned from the war. My brother loves you with every ounce he can and you love him just the same. I'm glad you told me off the other day. You were born to be a Shelby Noel. I won't underestimate you again."

"She's turning you into the Thomas I used to know," I whisper looking around to make sure no one else is listening to our exchange. "Be careful."

Tommy was about to say something but Ada came bounding towards us. John was right behind her trying to make sure she didn't fall over as she swayed back and forth yelling at the top of her lungs about how awful she thought her older brother was and then we all went silent realizing her water had just broken. Ada was about to have the baby.