Ch 9

Tommy Shelby was known for ruining everything he touched

Tommy Shelby was known for ruining everything he touched. Or at least that is what I had heard for most of my life. Maybe I had been foolish to never believe those whispers. Foolish to put trust in a man who truly only cared about how to further himself in life. I never thought he was the kind of man to break my heart. I always thought the reason John and I would end would be our own stubernoss. Our own infinity for choosing flight over fight. But yet here I sat in the beautiful green dress moments away from going to the love of my life's wedding. A wedding he didn't know he was about to be a part of.

"We can skip it if you would like. This is all rather fucked up if you ask me," Ada grabbed onto my hand as we walked towards Polly's car. The older woman was leaning on the vehicle with a cigarette between her lips and a cold expression on her face.

"You love him yeah?" Pol asked as he helped us in.

"What kind of bloody question is that. Would I have spent all morning fucking crying my eyes out if I didn't!" I snapped causing her to slap the sense back into me. "Course I love him but Tommy."

"Screw Tommy. You're going to walk up to my nephew and tell him if he doesn't call off this bloody wedding you're going to make him. I won't have him ruin two lives today and you aren't about to become a mistress."

The first thing I noticed when we got to our destination was a group of blinders surrounding a man who looked like he was trying to escape. They were too far away for me to determine who was in the middle of the chaos.

"Pol do you see him?" I asked as the older women pulled me through the field. Ada was ranting beside us about Tommy was awful for trying to decide who his siblings should and shouldn't marry. Eventually Polly snapped at the poor girl and she shut her mouth pulling out the whisky we thought we had confiscated from her.

"Oh good you made it," Tommy nodded at me.

"Did I have a choice Thomas?" I growled.

"John told me he hasn't seen you in days," Tommy commented leading me towards the group of blinders. "I appreciate you keeping this hush hush. You mean a lot to this family Noel. This arrangement is to protect you, I hope you understand."

"You have more than one brother." I mumbled. "Why couldn't it have been Arthur?"

"I need you to trust me Noel. What's happening today isn't what you thought it was going to be." Tommy kissed my temple before walking away from me again. I can feel my knees growing weak as I notice the veiled girl coming towards me and as I frantically look around for John I realize it's not him kneeled where the grooms are supposed to be.

"Polly that's Arthur. Where the hells John?!"