Ch 18

If you had told me years ago that I would have attended four Shelby weddings before my thirtieth birthday I would have called you a liar

If you had told me years ago that I would have attended four Shelby weddings before my thirtieth birthday I would have called you a liar. My mind couldn't  fathom the thought of Arthur marrying a lee girl and having a family with, but here I was bouncing his and Esme's second youngest on my knee as I waited for Tommy to marry grace. It had been a few months since mine and John's wedding, Freddie had died and Ada was taking it better than any of us expected her two. Michael, polly's son had come to love with us and John and I discovered we were expecting our first child. It was a whirlwind of events but we were all taking it in strides.

"Stop glaring at them," I scolded my husband who grunted a response at me. "It's Tommy's wedding you will behave."

"They weren't supposed to be in uniform," John huffed kissing my temple before going back to glaring at the Calvary men across from us. "Tommy said."

"Tommy says a lot of things love." I shook my head softly pulling his chin towards me. "I love you, but please no fighting. Not now. Not today."

"Fine, but only because you asked so nicely."

Grace made a beautiful bride and Tommy looked almost as happy as the young man I knew before the war. It was strange. Not a bad strange but still strange. I had lost John somewhere in the crowds knowing he was most likely off causing mischief with his brothers. Or throwing insults at Calvary men despite me trying to get him to behave.
"She looked beautiful didn't she Pol," I wrapped my arm around the older women's waist. "And Tom looks happier than I've seen him in years."

"A wolf in sheep's clothing," Pol growled under her breath as she downed the rest of her drink. "But yes he does look happy so I guess I should keep my opinions to myself."

"When have you ever done that Pol?" I teased placing a hand on my stomach. A sharp pain shot through me causing me to wince and leaned against the table. "I'm fine." I insisted.

"That doesn't sound fine," Pol gave me a look before looking around the ballroom. "Sit and I'll go get John."

"Polly please don't I said I'm fine," I winced again clutching the side of my stomach. "I just need some water okay. Help me to the kitchen." Polly did as I asked making it seem as if all was well, but it didn't feel well. It felt as if my life was about to be thrown another wrench. Another heartache. Another loss. I sat on the kitchen counter sipping water and eating a piece of bread Polly forced on me. I was going to be fine. I had to be.

"There you are," John grinned. "Pol can I have a minute with my wife?" Polly nodded leaving us alone. John stood between my legs pressing his forehead against mine. "You were prettier." He whispered. "Just so you know."

"You have to say that. I'm having your child." I giggled running my hands carefully through his hair. "But thank you." I kissed him gently trying to distract myself from the pain in my abdomen but it was growing worse. "Go be with your brothers love. We can be together tonight." I shooed him away so I could search for Polly. She was right. I wasn't okay. I need a doctor and I needed one now.