004: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘰𝘢𝘥 𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘱

𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘦𝘹𝘢𝘴,
𝘴𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 17𝘵𝘩, 12𝘢𝘮

"the fuck?" john choked on his cigarette, forcing it out of his mouth with a cough. his gruff, barely awake voice sent shivers down charlie's spine.

"excuse me, sir?" the officer nodded to john.

"well, why the fuck do you need our licenses?" john snarked. "we were driving jus' fine!"

"sir, your wife was swerving all over the road. please, license and registration."

charlie coyly reached into her purse beside her with fumbling hands. she took her wallet out as john-fuming-grabbed his backpack and did the same. "she's not my wife," john mumbled, handing his wallet to the bald officer.

charlie didn't know she was swerving. it was the middle of the night. she was tired. she was barely conscious, but, she felt like she wouldn't be able to sleep if she pulled the car over anyways.

"charlie strange and john lennon?" the cop, his southern accent thick with brashness asked. they were only in texas for maybe a half hour before they were pulled over.

"yes," charlie anxiously answered. as a sign of reassurance, john placed a sympathetic hand on hers. she beamed at him, mentally thanking him for that.

"alright, then. i'm gonna let y'all off with a warning, see? no more swerving, charlie!" with a courteous nod of his hat as he handed them their licenses back, the cop was back in his cop car.

she let out a sudden sigh of relief, more awake than ever. john kept on smoking his ciggy, barely at all caring about the consequences of what would've happened if he were meaner. or if he was still famous. surely the cop wouldn't think twice about letting him off easy. nevertheless, they were back on their way to virginia.

"that was close," charlie muttered. "we almost just got put in prison," she joked.

___________________
𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘦,
4𝘢𝘮

just as john reached his last cigarette, the car began to sputter. the dull noise of the engine started to die down, the warm air coming from the vents faltered, the radio became distorted until everything stopped with a bang. there they were, the middle of the highway with no telephone, no other cars at that time of night.

all alone.

"ah, shit," john cursed. "what's happened?"

charlie felt the color drain from her face once she realized she forgot to fill up the tank when they left the gas station in texas. "we're... out of gas," she uttered.

they both looked around. no one was on the roads. the nearest gas station might as well have been a mile or two out. everything that surrounded them was either trees or roadways. "now what?" john wondered. he unbuckled his seatbelt and looked at the map with charlie.

"we'll either have to walk to a gas station, stay here for the rest of the night or wait for a car to come by," she listed.

john adjusted the rim of his glasses with his fingers and let out a deep sigh. "we've gotten this far. we're only... what? seven hours away from virginia? let's take a break. sides, i'm fuckin' knackered."

charlie nodded hesitantly, not wanting the trip to be delayed. but she was tired. her eyes burned with exhaustion, and she could feel tears brimming them when she blinked. "you can sleep in the backseat if you want,"

"let's not be greedy now," he grumbled. "you're takin' the back seat, dear."

"thanks," she wanted to deny it, but she was too tired to. she crawled from the front to the back before smiling at john. a tired smile, really.

"wait," john grabbed her shoulder. "i never put a pretty bird to sleep without a kiss on the cheek," he flirted.

charlie felt her cheeks grow darker as she moved her body to face his, "god, how could i have forgotten?" she leaned forward and pursed her lips so his could meet her cheek. "such a gentleman..." she muttered as she finally heaved herself to the backseat,

john took his seat back so he was laying down. "goodnight, love,"

"goodnight... john lennon."