Chapter 7

They had run throughout the night with Cao hot on their tracks. Gideon was fast but not as fast as Cao it was only a matter of time before he caught them and for once in his long life, Gideon was worried. He was worried Gethen would die before reaching her true potential. They had reached the cliffside that dropped into the ocean and Gideon knew what he had to do.

"I am sorry Gethen but this is the only plan I have and that plan is you" Gideon hurriedly explained as he took off a red pendant necklace and put it over her neck, 

"I don't understand" Gideon held her hands 

"be better than me Gethen and trust in humanity it will be the thing that kills him in the end" then Gideon's eyes turned red and fangs came protruding out of his mouth and he bit her neck. Gethen cried out in pain and shock.

Gideon let go of her and just as Cao ran into the clearing and made eye contact with a dying Gethen, Gideon pushed her over the edge of the cliff where she fell into the water below.

Cao looked from the spot where she fell to Gideon and he grabbed his throat with enough force to lift him off of the ground.

"Master Gideon you should have died that day in the field along with your other failed projects" Cao seethed

"I did when you chose this path, Cao this is no place for you" 

"enough! this is my place my rightful place you decided that when you tried to kill me! your own creation!" Cao shouted.

"I wanted better for you," Gideon said, the disappointed father tone was not lost on Cao and it only fueled him more.

"You think she can stop me? your new prodigy will fail just like the others before me" and with that Cao ripped out his heart.

Gideon's body fell to the ground and slowly turned to dust one could only hope he finds peace in the death that he craved for for so long.

Cao looked to the breaking dawn and back to the bottom of the cliffside where Gethen fell, as Cao's pale skin sizzled in the dawn he did one last look and ran back to the palace.