Chapter 16

Gethen ran in the direction the other girls went following the scent of their blood she caught up to them quickly. Mai was helping hold Rosa up as they limped as quickly as they could along the path in the dark forest. Gethen appeared out of the darkness in front of them startling them,

"he is coming. Run to the safe house and do not come out until morning. Go! go now!" Gethen commanded.

"what about you?" Rosa questioned with trepidation 

"don't worry about me get yourselves to safety" they blinked and Gethen was gone.

They ran through the forest off the path heading in the direction of a cabin that Gethen had made in case of emergencies. The cabin was covered in white lilies that way Cao wouldn't be able to sense them if he ever was chasing them, Mai had always thought it was never gonna be in use, until now, now she was glad Gethen overthinks everything.

"We can't just leave her!" Rosa gritted out 

"We have no choice we can't beat him and I trust she knows what she is doing" Mai panted out physical exhaustion making her breathe harder than usual. Rosa wanted to struggle some more but her injuries pained her too much to argue any further.

The wind blew past Gethen as she was running through the forest, her dark brown hair blowing wildly behind her. Cao was still following behind her,  she felt him stop at the place where she and the girls had split up, for a second she feared he would choose to follow the girls but he took the bait and followed her just like she had hoped. She jumped over a fallen tree as thoughts of worry about Rosa and Mai were running wildly just like she was. No matter what she could not let him get near the girls. He would most definitely kill them to teach her some archaic lesson about humans being useless, a lesson she did not care to learn. Regardless, saving others is all she lives for now and she would gladly save her friends even it would be her downfall. 

Cao stopped and looked at the decapitated body of his ill-fated creation he smirked and ran in the direction Gethen went he noticed there was also the scent of blood in the same direction. It seemed she really did care for this human to risk herself like this, he made a mental note that there were two scents of humans that Gethen clearly knew. Yes, he would definitely come back to that later. He stopped where the path of their scents split into two different directions. 

smart girl, he felt an odd sense of pride at her quick thinking and the flutter of something else in his chest that she knew him this well. He continued in the Gethen's direction, 

He knew what she was doing. She would stop eventually far enough away from the humans she cared for where she would distract him until daylight so he couldn't go back for them,

which is exactly what he wanted.