Chapter 21

Gethen leaned on a window sill looking up at the afternoon sky with her arms crossed. Gethen tapped her pale finger on her arm thoughts kept circling back to the missing person of the house. Mai had yet to come back since she left in that morning and Gethen was trying very hard to remain aloof. Rosa was resting after exterting herself too much in her packing to which Gethen smirkly fondly but realized what she was doing and schooled her soft expression.

She couldn't care about them. They had weaseled their way in without Gethen even noticing, Mai with her childish sense of heroism and Rosa with her stone-like regard but protective nature. A piece of garment caught Gethen's eye as it lay on a shelf of books nearby, it was a garment that wasn't anyone's taste here Gethen realized it must have been something Mai was pressured into buying at the market when Gethen left her alone. Gethen sighed looking down she couldn't face the rising moon or the setting sun any longer. She turned to walk away when she had a sense of dread wash over her.

 She had done the same thing with Feng,

she left him to his fate just like she was doing now with Mai. What was she doing repeating history? she never backed down from a fight when she was human and as a vampire, she never backed down from protecting those in need. Mai was under her care and she was letting the fear of herself get to her.

Mai did not deserve this.

Gethen slowly gazed at her sword that was laying on the table, she had made her decision and she had a feeling it was going to be fatal. Her eyes turned red and she walked toward the sword and unsheathed it.

"me for them, always" then she jumped out the window. 

Mai crouched over one of her patients. The man had pieces of wood stuck in him due to the rogue vampire destroying walls and various other things in its path many were left with bruises but at least they were alive. Mai looked over to a woman who had been crying about her dead son for a while now and it broke Mai's heart. 

Without doctor Iris, there were no official doctors they only a hand full of apprentices and Mai. The group worked together Mai did her best to help calm down the people but it wasn't like any of them knew vampires existed they all thought some madman killed 30 people for no reason they had every right to be wary of others.

"Sir, I am going to able some ointment now that the wood is gone okay?" Mai told the man carefully.

Mai didn't notice the group of men asking an apprentice some questions she also did not notice them pointing at her.

"excuse me miss are you by any chance Mai?" a voice asked. Mai turned around she was about to say yes when her eyes widened noticing it was the same man with the notepad that worked for the palace and therefore Cao. 

"grab her" Yates ordered. Five guards rounded on Mai she struggled but knew it was no use. She hates it when Gethen is right at least she was able to direct the village people into a more calm direction.

The guards took her to an empty house. They took off a silver dagger off of her hip and sat her down on a wooden chair tying her up Yates stood in front of her with a knife

"I must insist that you be cooperative, Miss Mai, as it would be very painful for you" Yates had a predatory smile

"I'm not giving you anything" Mai gritted out 

"funny that is what the good doctor said as well and look what happened to her" Mai's eyes widen in horror

"what? you- you killed my friend!" she should have known Iris died by knife wound not a vampire bite.

"Oh, I would not call her your friend, how do you think we know who you are?" Yates waved his knife "tell us where your master is"

"no" Mai yelled

"pull out her hand" Yates ordered a guard who pulled Mai's handout Mai struggled but there was not much she could do she still was weak from the vampire attack.

"where is she?"

"I'm not telling you" Yates took the knife and cut off the ring finger on her left hand. Mai screamed in pain as blood flowed all over her hand

"where is she" 

"I will not tell you" she tried to sound confident but her voice wobbled in pained,

He cut off her pinky finger.