CH 13: Pleasant Nonsense

Kirishima P. O. V.

The summer air was warm and humid, making his crimson locks fall in front of his eyes and stick to his forehead. He constantly had to brush them out of his way, but he continued to trudge on. Ignoring the pain of the straps of his large camping backpack digging into his shoulders. Despite his discomfort, he didn't dare ask for a break to fix them. There simply wasn't time. They were racing the setting sun, desperately trying to reach the summit before nightfall. Though for what, the redhead had no idea.

The ash-blonde had surprised him one Saturday morning with an impromptu camping trip. He had packed enough supplies for both of them and secured permission from Aizawa and his parents but failed to inform the redhead of his plans. He only found out when Bakugou had entered his room and started dragging him out of bed. Ignoring all the sleepy complaints and practically dressed Kirishima as he mumbled questions about the rude awakening. Before he knew it, he was packed into a car with Bakugou and his dad, with a Honey and Oats granola bar placed in his mouth like a pacifier.

With something in his stomach, Kirishima finally started to feel himself come back to life. Bakugou finally explained that he was taking him to one of his favorite hiking spots. "You said you wanted to come along the next time I went," the ash-blonde remarked, turning away from him, from where he sat beside him in the back seat. The tips of his ears turning a light shade of pink.

That made Kirishima smile. "Thanks, man! But you could have let me know ahead of time."

"It was a last-minute thing," Bakugou lied, sinking deeper into his seat, his ears turning redder.

Kirishima suppressed a chuckle. 'Yeah, sure it was.' The redhead noticed that Mr. Bakugou was also trying not to laugh at how obvious his son was being. Man, Kirishima loved the Bakugou's.

The mountain was a two-hour drive away. The car ride was quiet but peaceful. Bakugou ended up taking a nap for most of it, while Kirishima passed the time looking out the window and striking a conversation with Mr. Bakugou now and then.

Kirishima already knew that Bakugou had gotten into hiking because of his dad. The two of them had done numerous hiking and mountain climbing trips together over the years. They had climbed every mountain in Japan at least once and every trail at least twice, so it came as a surprise when it was revealed that Mr. Bakugou wouldn't be joining them. Unfortunately, he had an important work trip he couldn't miss during their annual camping trip. Only able to give them a ride there and back since it was already on his way.

So the two boys loaded the heavy camping packs onto their shoulders and hiked up Nozomi Mountain by themselves. The mountain wasn't the tallest in Japan by any means, but it was the Bakugou family's favorite. It had trails for everyone, from beginners like Bakugou's mom Mitsuki; to hazardous rocking climbing trails for those with tons of experience like Bakugou himself. Whatever path you took, it was stunning thanks to the small about of foot traffic it received. Most people didn't even know about it because you had to walk through an unmarked forest before the trails even started.

As they hiked one of the middle-grade trails for Kirishima's benefit, Bakugou shared that this was the first mountain he had ever climbed. When his father asked if he wanted to go camping when he was four, Bakugou said he only wanted to go if they climbed the tallest mountain in Japan. Knowing he wouldn't be able to handle a trip like that at that age, his father had tricked him and said that it was. While Bakugou figured out the truth once he got back home, he never enjoyed any other camping trip than the ones on this mountain. So he forgave him. After that, any time they needed to get away from the world around them, the family would pack into their car and head here. Even his mother, who hated the outdoors, would join in on occasion. Though she would bitch the whole time.